• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of bird?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It’s definitely not a Ringneck. I used to own 28’s and they’re soooo much bigger.

This guy was a touch smaller than a rosella but a bit bigger than a red rump.....most certainly larger than a cockatiel. This bird may have been close to a green cheek size but I believe it would have been slightly bigger than the green cheeks I’ve seen.
I hope he returns today, I’ll be keeping an eye out for him.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Green cheeks are smaller than cockatiels, so it's confusing to say bigger than a cockatiel but smaller than a green cheek.....

I guess we need more photos!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Monica

:lol: I’ve only seen a few green geeks up close enough to touch and that was quite some time back....... in my memory they are for some reason much chunkier than cockatiels are?
I’m obviously remembering them as a much larger bird than they actually are :roflmao:
Sorry about the confusion :rofl:

The bird in my yard was bigger than both green cheeks and cockatiels but not as big as a rosella. It was definitely a little smaller than the rosellas.

No more pics to share unfortunately. I didn’t see him today :(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
No more pics to share unfortunately. I didn’t see him today :(
You should ask @Zara for her bird hospitality tips for repeat visitors! :laugh: Or should we call her porch doves "tenants" now?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
You should ask @Zara for her bird hospitality tips for repeat visitors! :laugh: Or should we call her porch doves "tenants" now?
Ohhh no way! My mother has chopped down a heap of the trees here (sickly or problem ones mainly) and we still have more regulars than I can keep up with as it is.....I do not want any more moving in! The Superb fairy wrens attack our car windows and mirrors meaning you have to wash them before leaving the house most days as they are covered in poop hindering your vision- who knew such tiny birds could poop so darn much?- they also spend half the day attacking their own reflection in any window of our house. The sparrows make too much noise and poop everywhere plus they do not belong here but are cute nonetheless, the two families of Magpies are getting way too cheeky and starting to consider stealing the food out of my hand instead of waiting nicely- they have also starting harassing me through the window and sliding door for food or colder fresh water when they want whatever it is they want! The magpies also somehow have trained my mother to come running for me when she sees them at the doors or windows to tell me they need food! lol We have a fair few rosellas that visit daily, crested pigeons, spotted doves, red rumps, galahs, the odd Kookaburra and heaps of goshawks, nankeen kestrels, black kites and whistling kites, as well as a heap of little ones I am not sure of the names of. We also have the odd bin chicken AKA Australian white ibis.
I would have to be more out of my mind than I even already think I am to try to encourage any of them to feel more cozy here than they already do :roflmao:......maybe I need to tell them all about the hospitality at Zara's balcony so they all may consider a holiday :lol:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like a male turquoisine to me.... minus the red.

See photo #8? And #11-#12 (there's a tad bit of red).

Just having another look at these pics now and I can not see one in these pics that has a complete blue head like the one in my yard but they are all so differently marked too so that makes things a little trickier too.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am wondering if it maybe was a very young scarlet chested parakeet now that I have had another look through all the pics- if it is not then I am guessing a turquoise parrot with slightly different markings than the pictured birds.

Putting my guesses to rest before I drive myself mad trying to find the answer lol.

Thank you everyone who made a suggestion and posted links for me :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:laughing6: Your magpies are so clever! I'd be jealous if I didn't know they would run me ragged!

But I am jealous at the assortment of birds you get to see. :geek: I had to look up a few of them. :cantsee:

And why's the ibis called a bin chicken? Do they pick through the trash? o_O

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:laughing6: Your magpies are so clever! I'd be jealous if I didn't know they would run me ragged!

But I am jealous at the assortment of birds you get to see. :geek: I had to look up a few of them. :cantsee:

And why's the ibis called a bin chicken? Do they pick through the trash? o_O

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
People think it is hilarious to get shots of bin chickens stealing from bins and doing other weird stuff.....there is even a bin chicken emoji :roflmao:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Both turq's and scarlet chesteds are budgie+ sized, but not nearly as big as a green cheek or a cockatiel.

I honestly can't think of a species right now that would look like either species, but larger.

The two species could hybridize, but again, you wouldn't get a bird larger than they are....

Unless something stranger happened..... which is a possibility! ;)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
We have a fair few rosellas that visit daily, crested pigeons, spotted doves, red rumps, galahs, the odd Kookaburra and heaps of goshawks, nankeen kestrels, black kites and whistling kites, as well as a heap of little ones I am not sure of the names of. We also have the odd bin chicken AKA Australian white ibis.
:faint: That is a lot of visitors!!! :cloud9:
The doves are enough for us :lol: We have Adelies sister and her surrogate babies, and their buddies and their babies visiting tomorrow for a week. My girls are in nesting mode and Aldora is on eggs right now. It´s gonna be a busy week for us!

I hope your colourful little guy swings by again, he´s quite beautiful!!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It's coloring looks very similar to this par-blue scarlet-chested parakeet: #A12 (par-blue / lutino 1.0) - Lantana Aviary .
Ohhhhhh that does look very much like the little one in my yard.
I’m still guessing it was a former pet considering how comfortable it was near people and that he was alone was rather odd. Most other parrots visiting here come to visit in at least pairs or with a group of others. This one was totally alone. Not even another similar watching from the roof or tree tops.
The very pale yellow was also a bit odd from what I’m used to seeing flying around. Most of the wild parrots other than red rumps are quite vibrantly coloured.