• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent what is wrong with my budgie?

notsunlee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
josie
hello, i hope you are all having a good day/night. so i’ve had my budgie blueberry for a little over a year now. he is definitely a male, and was always super healthy.

however recently i’ve noticed that he hasn’t been acting like himself. he doesn’t move around much, puffs up his feathers all the time and he has gained weight as well. he used to be about 37 grams and is now 43. he also is having trouble flying around. he is not clipped, and usually is an amazing flyer, but now he tends to crash-lands onto the floor.

his diet is good my vet says, he has freshly made chop with a few seeds in the morning, harrison’s pellets throughout the rest of the day, and a little bit of seeds mixed with dried veggies and some herbs in the evening. he also gets plenty of time to come out of his cage and fly, but recently when he comes out all he does is sit at the top and puff up his feathers.

i’m really not sure what is causing him to be like this. the last time i took him into the vet for a check up they said he was completely fine, and that was only about a month ago.

he is also usually housed with my other budgie angel, who i think is also a boy. they get along well, but blueberry has been stealing angel’s food so i separated him into a different cage. (by the way they both have the same diet.)

sorry for the long post haha, but i really don’t know what’s going on with him. i am going to be booking him a vet appointment but i also wanted to just ask if anyone has ever had this happen to their bird too? other than his strange symptoms he has still been eating and drinking fine, his droppings look normal and he still plays with toys. but i’m really worried about him, and i hope he is okay. please tell me if there is anything i should do!

thank you so much! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's so hard to know. Has he had any blood work done? Might be time for an xray if blood work is clear

notsunlee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
josie
hi, thank you for your reply! no he hasn’t had any blood work done. however like i said before i separated him from angel since he was stealing almost all of his food and when i recently checked on him he looked like he slimmed down a lot. do you think that maybe since he was stealing so much food his crop wasn’t able to clear well and now it was since he wasn’t eating so much? he is still quite sleepy and not as active as usual but he doesn’t seem as puffy as before.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not sure. The fact that he's sleepy, puffy, and having problems flying would worry me.