• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is this?

Riley Schmidt

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riley Schmidt
My budgie, Bobo, loves to hump my hand. Every time he comes on my hand, he humps it. Whenever he does, it gets more and more excessive. He'll get really into it and then eventually spread his wings around my hand. Once he's done, he retreats to his perch leaving a cream colored liquid on my hand. However, the last time he did this I noticed a little bit of red coloration. Is this supposed to be some type of semen and should I be concerned about the red coloration?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Another solution, so long as you don't feel offended or disgusted by it, is to just feel honoured and let him have his way with your hand while he feels the urge. It does neither of you any harm and the behaviour can then be addressed in different ways, such as reducing daylight ours, giving him a real or stuffed friend etc. The little bit of blood you see is probably just irritation from the rubbadub, but that's not 100%. See what others say.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
My budgie, Bobo, loves to hump my hand. Every time he comes on my hand, he humps it. Whenever he does, it gets more and more excessive. He'll get really into it and then eventually spread his wings around my hand. Once he's done, he retreats to his perch leaving a cream colored liquid on my hand. However, the last time he did this I noticed a little bit of red coloration. Is this supposed to be some type of semen and should I be concerned about the red coloration?
You're not petting him anywhere except his head, right? Cause that will cause more of the same behavior you are trying to discourage.