• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is this?

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
I was giving Tweety a bath last night & notice this lump just under her vent. What is it?? I tried to get as good as pictures I could get with Tweety wiggling around cause she didn't want me to hold her upside down :cautious:

She has an appointment setup with her vet for Tuesday morning to get her Nails cut so I figured I'll have Dr C check it out then. But I figured I'd ask you guys in case you had any ideas of what it could be?

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump7:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am glad you will have a vet examine this bird and diagnose the lump. Growths on budgies can be an assortment of things like trauma, abscesses, tumors, ruptured air sacs, hernias, cysts or egg-binding or other less obvious things. Good luck and please update us when you can.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How did you get on at the vet Iris? ❤

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have no advice but hope everything is okay! :hug8:

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Just got back from the Vet & he says it looks like the lump is just a little bit on fat. He says it's probably from her laying 98 eggs within 2 years so it's just catching up with her.
I'm so relieved that it isn't nothing to bad :joyful:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. He says it's probably from her laying 98 eggs within 2 years
Is that a real number or are you overexaggerating? You do know that 98 in two years classes her as a chronic layer?

I´m glad it appears to be just fat and nothing major :)

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Is that a real number or are you overexaggerating? You do know that 98 in two years classes her as a chronic layer?

I´m glad it appears to be just fat and nothing major :)
It's a real number :lol:
I wish she hasn't laid that many but that's how many she's laid. I kept track of when she would lay each egg & sit on each batch so her doctor would know when she'd be laying each one so we could keep an eye on her. She laid 18 batches of eggs highest amount was 7 eggs in a batch & lowest was 1. She'd sit on them for about a month & then kick them out & do it all over again :bash: she stopped sitting on the last batch of 2 eggs on May 15th & hasn't laid anymore since then :dance5: we make her have 13-14 hours of darkness each day to stop the egg laying (I bought a black out piece of cloth from Walmart for $12) & it seems like it finally worked!

Or she finally ran out of eggs :rofl:

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
It's a real number :lol:
I wish she hasn't laid that many but that's how many she's laid. I kept track of when she would lay each egg & sit on each batch so her doctor would know when she'd be laying each one so we could keep an eye on her. She laid 18 batches of eggs highest amount was 7 eggs in a batch & lowest was 1. She'd sit on them for about a month & then kick them out & do it all over again :bash: she stopped sitting on the last batch of 2 eggs on May 15th & hasn't laid anymore since then :dance5: we make her have 13-14 hours of darkness each day to stop the egg laying (I bought a black out piece of cloth from Walmart for $12) & it seems like it finally worked!

Or she finally ran out of eggs :rofl:
Oh my, I thought the little hen I had years ago was bad but she never came close to 98 eggs in 2 years. I'm glad she has stopped, it really does take a toll on their tiny bodies.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I also forgot to ask if Tweety is a solitary hen? If she does not have a mate then she has bonded with either you or someone in your family. If this is the case then the interaction that she is taking as sexual has to stop. It could be very innocent but if a hen is intent on breeding she may take any interaction with a human as mating.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Oh my, I thought the little hen I had years ago was bad but she never came close to 98 eggs in 2 years. I'm glad she has stopped, it really does take a toll on their tiny bodies.
It definitely does! She was always so tired :(

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
I also forgot to ask if Tweety is a solitary hen? If she does not have a mate then she has bonded with either you or someone in your family. If this is the case then the interaction that she is taking as sexual has to stop. It could be very innocent but if a hen is intent on breeding she may take any interaction with a human as mating.
Yep, She's the only one. I wanted another parakeet that looked really tame from the pet store when I was getting Tweety more food (I had had Tweety 8-9 months? She's almost 6 years old now) but my dad said no. "We can only have one parakeet at a time. So that means only Tweety." I think she thinks my hand is her 'mate' cause I would give her head rubs & help her with pinfeathers she couldn't reach

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes, the little hen I had years ago actually was my son's. She bonded with him and would sit on his glasses and coo. Sure enough several days later another clutch of eggs started. We would let her sit on them but (like Tweety) she would discard them after about a few weeks and start again. Hard as it is, you must stop giving her head rubs and stop offering your hand. You can certainly still talk to her and offer your arm to get up on but anything that she might mistake for "mating" needs to stop for her health. This is very hard but this, combined with the 12-14 hrs darkness is what will help her stop chronic laying. This as well as her age (6yrs) will save her poor body. I know how difficult this is but for her health it is necessary.

RipTweety

Walking the driveway
Real Name
iris
Yes, the little hen I had years ago actually was my son's. She bonded with him and would sit on his glasses and coo. Sure enough several days later another clutch of eggs started. We would let her sit on them but (like Tweety) she would discard them after about a few weeks and start again. Hard as it is, you must stop giving her head rubs and stop offering your hand. You can certainly still talk to her and offer your arm to get up on but anything that she might mistake for "mating" needs to stop for her health. This is very hard but this, combined with the 12-14 hrs darkness is what will help her stop chronic laying. This as well as her age (6yrs) will save her poor body. I know how difficult this is but for her health it is necessary.
Before she would climb into my shirts (for a dark spot aka nesting spot) she'd shred the paper towel at the bottom of her for nesting material so we took that out & I just clean off the plastic so there's nothing for her to use as nesting material in her cage.
I was accidentally petting her on her back which I stopped doing as soon as I found out at doing that meant some things....
I keep switching around her toys in her cage. She gets collard greens every day, some times a little bit of a grape or apple if it tastes good to me. I was able to switch her over to pellets about a year & a half ago so she's pretty much off of seeds & loves her pellets!

I don't really give her head rubs now cause my hands have been getting this weird splits & stuff on them so I've been putting on cream stuff 2 times a day so I usually talk to her through the cage unless she comes out to fly when I clean her cage at night

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Add some seed back to her diet if she's not eating loads of veg & fruit. Firstly budgies are granivores, which means they should eat some seed. Secondly a diet too rich in pellets can cause serious health problems as a budgie grows older.
Hard as it is, you must stop giving her head rubs and stop offering your hand.
Good and important advice. If she's seeing a single member of your family as a mate then restrict her access to that one person. As far as petting goes, if she can reach it herself leave it.
Good advice given about the daylight hours. But if you're still struggling with this in a month you can restrict the diet without being cruel. An abundance of good food is a signal that it's a good time to bring up young. If you restrict the diet by gradually reducing the goodies while maintaining what we know is actually good for them we can change their mindset and get them to understand it's not a good time to breed.
I hope that last bit makes sense, I need to grab my morning coffee yet.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Add some seed back to her diet if she's not eating loads of veg & fruit. Firstly budgies are granivores, which means they should eat some seed. Secondly a diet too rich in pellets can cause serious health problems as a budgie grows older.
Absolutely, I agree.