• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Is This Beautiful King's Cage Worth?

HCK9s

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hi everyone. I rescued a pair of Moluccan 'Toos. She had them in separate cages as one was having issues plucking her chest pretty bad and she didn't want the other one over-grooming the area. One of the cages she had was this large King's Cage. It's very, very heavy.

271390761_342005334410213_1812165452449664006_n.jpg

Long story short, before separating the Toos, they had lived in the same cage about 25 years. They are sisters, different clutches, same parents. The girls are now healed up and have ceased plucking (or so it seems). In any sense, our veterinarian agrees it would be more beneficial to get a large A&E 8040 to have them share (but that still has a divider if one of them does need to be separated down the road).

The previous owner still has this cage (pictured above), which she offered to us. But, it doesn't really make sense for us to take it. It would be VERY heavy and hard to move (we live 3 hours north of her) and isn't really what we need.

The cage measures 4' L x 3' W x 6.5' H. The manufacturer is King's Cages. It has a seed skirt (as pictured). It's really nicely powder coated with double walled construction (why it's so heavy).

She agreed if I can help her sell it, I can use the money to help purchase a new cage for the girls. My question is, I don't even know where to begin. I do not want to price the cage too low. What do you think is fair for this cage? It's in pretty good shape, she agreed it would be power washed before buyer picked up.

Thanks guys!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
From the Kings Corner Cages website it looks like it's about $1,180 brand new: Large Parrot Cage | Parrot Cages For Sale | Bird Cages

I would resell it for half to 2/3 of the new price if it's in excellent condition. But selling cages can be hit or miss. Sometimes no one needs/wants one, so be prepared to keep it around for awhile.

HCK9s

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
Hi!

Owner confirmed it's this cage, except in black:

So it actually retails around $2,000.00, not including shipping. It's an older, very heavy version of the cage.

I think I'll start with listing it at $1,000.00 and see what happens. I'm not in a huge rush to sell.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Has the powder coating been scraped off sections of the bars? I am only asking as Moluccan cockatoos have very strong beaks, and some birds do do this. If so, that would lower the price. Also, the geographic area in which you are located will greatly affect the price. In some areas there are very few people who own parrots, meaning that there will be a small amount of people who would even consider this cage. On the other hand, in areas where many people own parrots such as Florida and California in the United States, there are usually many used cages listed for sale on websites such as Craigslist, Facebook and eBay.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I have the exact same cage. You are right, very heavy, bars slightly larger than made these days. I paid $1200 about 20 years ago for mine. Problems with mine are over time the wheels have lost the ball bearings, and a strong macaw can break the welds.

I also wonder what the tray looks like, over time I've had to have metal welded into it as it rusted through in a few spots.
All in all, it's held up better than any other cage I've had.

I do think $1000 is a bit steep for a 20+ year old cage.

Last edited:

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just a suggestion. Have it power washed and take pictures. You can not ask a premium price for a dirty cage. Better to show a potential customer what they are getting them ask them to imagine what it will look like clean.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes I wouldn't buy a dirty cage no matter what the listing says haha.

Kings ships their cages for free so you can't really add that to the value, especially since theirs are flat packed, new, and come to your home vs having to go get it, break it down, etc.

While they do hold their value some , I don't think $1000 is realistic based on the photo and age. The photo makes it look like there is rust, which will significantly reduce the perceived value regardless if it is rusty or not. If it IS rusty then anything over $500 is overpriced.