• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the mutation of the boy Neophema Splendida?

Roman avia

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Abu Bakar Siddique
Age 4 months
Scarlet chested parakeet
Need help for knowing mutation
What female mutation will be preferable for him?

Attachments

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Do you have pictures from any other directions?

From this one picture, I can say the bird has a pied mutation. It probably also has other mutations, like cinnamon or dark factor, because the base color and patterning are off from what I would expect, but I can't make a good guess without better pictures.

Or it could be a hybrid or a different kind of parakeet that was mis-identified as Scarlet-chested. The patterning on the wings looks odd to me. Color mutations usually do not change the pattern of color distribution like that.

Here is a collection of images showing many of the known color mutations for Neophema splendida:

Roman avia

Real Name
Abu Bakar Siddique
Do you have pictures from any other directions?

From this one picture, I can say the bird has a pied mutation. It probably also has other mutations, like cinnamon or dark factor, because the base color and patterning are off from what I would expect, but I can't make a good guess without better pictures.

Or it could be a hybrid or a different kind of parakeet that was mis-identified as Scarlet-chested. The patterning on the wings looks odd to me. Color mutations usually do not change the pattern of color distribution like that.

Here is a collection of images showing many of the known color mutations for Neophema splendida:

Thanks for time and prudential opinion and therefore I have attached few pictures as advised

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thread moved for better visibility :tup:

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Thank you for the additional pictures. That helps a lot. The head looks much more blue from the front. The green color on his back is much darker than normal, possibly cinnamon or dark factor. The lack of red on the chest is perplexing. He is green-series, so I would not expect that.

Unfortunately, I am not an expert on this species and related parakeets. He could be a blend of different color mutations, but I am leaning toward him being a hybrid.

Do you know anything about his parents? If you are thinking about buying him for breeding purposes, I would get additional information first.

Roman avia

Real Name
Abu Bakar Siddique
Thank you so much for your answer, i will show parents picture later, thanks once again

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Also, I just realized that the bird is maybe not green.

The yellow is pretty pale, almost white in some spots. It should be deeper and brighter yellow. I think it could be parblue - aqua or seagreen. So the yellow is more pale and the green parts are more blue. There is something else making the green darker than normal - it looks olive green in the pictures. Not sure what it looks like in real life. So maybe seagreen, dark factor, and pied. Or perhaps he is dilute?

That might explain the chest color. Or maybe it is age related and the chest will color out more when it is older. I am not super familiar with this species, so I am just going by the pictures I can find.

BirdG1rl

Real Name
Mara M.M
Don't know the mutation, but that bird is gorgeous! I've never seen a parrot or parakeet like that before! :)