• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best way to go about rehoming?

Kito

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
If you were rehoming your bird and had complete control over the process, how would you design it?

Would you bring your parrot to the new home for a few hours at a time and just visit, get him used to the new home/people?

I haven't posted anywhere yet about my bird, but I am in the planning stages. It's the hardest thing I've ever done and I haven't even started yet. When I do start actively looking, I'm including in my message that I am looking for the perfect person and I don't care if it takes 5 years to find them. If the prospective person doesn't have the patience to move slowly and communicate well with me, I'll just move on.

So - what do you think would be the most ideal rehoming process? (The lesser of all the evils.) Does it depend on the bird?

Also - if anyone has an adoption contract they could send me to adapt I would appreciate it. I want to include a clause about only ever rehoming back to me.

Thanks.

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
First and foremost- if someone is not willing to make a few extended visits to get to know your bird and ensure they will work, that ought to rule them out. I don't think parrots should be a "come look once," and leave kind of thing for rehoming. Also shows you how comfortable the person is around birds and their knowledge (always room for growth, though). Additionally, I'd personally want to pick someone that asks tons of questions and is genuinely curious about your parrot. Though I am sure you know, a mere "How much? Sounds good," and gone kind of thing is no good.

Writing a contract would be awesome and weed out the people who want a quick, easy sale. If they cared, they will stick around through you giving them a contract to review, and verbally discuss the contract to ensure there is full understanding.
I would personally want to do a home check. This does not need to be physical but pictures/video walk through especially where bird cage and what not will be, would be cool.

I'd ask about their current living situation and the steps I would take would be solely based off of the answers received and how I read the person. Employment, living situation, who dwells in their household both human and animal, etc.

Requesting a vet reference would also be a huge plus and also VERY easily weed out bad potential adopters as well.

Lastly, follow your gut :).

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I just went through this re homing process last month. Its painful for sure. I began the process here on AA with a post explaining why to my AA friends. It did not take long for a member to contact me saying she would love to take them. I am forever grateful. Both budgies are happy in her flock.

My birds were shipped to Florida by USPS and i would never suggest anyone else do it that way. But they made it despite the bumps in the road. Please feel free to private message me if you want.

Kito

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you both for your responses, I so agree with everything you said. It's also nice to hear confirmation that my plan of doing visits first isn't unreasonable. I'm going to include that in the message when I post it now.

Also I will definitely post here, thanks for that suggestion. I would love someone from here, although being just outside of Vancouver, BC, I'm not sure how many people are local. @Lady Jane So glad to hear you found a wonderful home through here for your budgies!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can also contact the local rescue and ask them to help you. Most will share their experiences with you and guide you.

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
And you must see if said birb enjoys his or her presence in your place,whether said person has the knowledge of your species of bird as sometimes the could be adopter just doesn’t know enough.Whether or not he is willing to make the changes in his house for the bird or accustom to your bird’s personality is also a big part part of the criteria.Other than that good habits like not smoking,drinking,not violent or so could also be a point.
Having previous experience is good but if the newbie to birds is willing to invest than an old owner,forget the old owner.And,good luck with your hunt!