• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is the best pellet for finches?

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
So i've been looking to switch my birds from a seed diet to a pellet diet but none of the available options seem good. Is there a good brand for finch pellets?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I know Lafeber makes a finch specific pellet, might be worth looking at! Otherwise Harrison's Superfine I believe is also okay for finches.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

FinchORI

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ori
My zebra finches are on Harrisons high-potency Superfine

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
So i've been looking to switch my birds from a seed diet to a pellet diet but none of the available options seem good. Is there a good brand for finch pellets?
About 19 days late, but my finches liked the Lafeber pellets a lot, as someone above mentioned. I tried the Roudybush finch size, but my finches found it too big. (not to mention they're very picky) i did know someone who had decent success with the larger size of roudybush pellet, but watching them eat it, they seemed to rotate those things in their beaks for ages !

i also wouldn't cut seed out of a finches diet 100%. they are granivores who have an extremely high metabolism. i am of the personal belief that pellets can be hard on their kidneys as a sole source of their food. i'd go for a mixture of foods instead. (some pellet, some seed, some fresh chop.) i actually keep my larger birds on pellets + veggies, while my finches get a nice seed and herb blend, veggies, and a high-quality water vitamin supplement by rob marshall. the pellets are a treat for them.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
i also wouldn't cut seed out of a finches diet 100%. they are granivores who have an extremely high metabolism.
Good advice.
I use roudybush and TOPS. TOPS makes some of the best for finches IMO. They also have a seed mix my guys will eat.

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
About 19 days late, but my finches liked the Lafeber pellets a lot, as someone above mentioned. I tried the Roudybush finch size, but my finches found it too big. (not to mention they're very picky) i did know someone who had decent success with the larger size of roudybush pellet, but watching them eat it, they seemed to rotate those things in their beaks for ages !

i also wouldn't cut seed out of a finches diet 100%. they are granivores who have an extremely high metabolism. i am of the personal belief that pellets can be hard on their kidneys as a sole source of their food. i'd go for a mixture of foods instead. (some pellet, some seed, some fresh chop.) i actually keep my larger birds on pellets + veggies, while my finches get a nice seed and herb blend, veggies, and a high-quality water vitamin supplement by rob marshall. the pellets are a treat for them.
That was what I was planning to do anyway, but thank you for the advice!