• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what is she doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Okay, it seems like Ry and Selphie are friends for the most part. They're sort of learning to share food(though once in a while Selphie will still chase Ry away from a plate) they'll sit together a lot, once in a while Selphie will let Rydia chew the same toy she is working on(unless I am holding it, then Selphie starts chewing it and Rydia shoves her away from it) They'll hump each other(oy.) they'll sit next to each other and preen themselves or each other. Sometimes(like last night) one will want to go to bed before I put them up and the other will follow her and they'll both sleep under the same blankie all night without a peep.

The one thing that confuses me though is that sometimes I wonder about their preening. Occasionally Rydia will preen Selphie hard and Selphie will complain and end up telling Ry to quit, she does and they'll go back to playing nicely. Sometimes, though, Rydia will get under one of Selphie's wings and pull down feathers from her. Selphie yelps, Rydia continues and Selphie doesn't seem to want to try to stop her :confused: Whenever I see Rydia trying to do that, I'll wave a hand at her to get her attention, she runs the other direction, sits on Selphie's other side and snuggles up to her. They'll preen nicely again for a while and Ry will try it again sometimes. She doesn't always do it, but I still wonder WHY she does it at all. And why Selphie, who will defend "her" food and "her" toys doesn't do anything to stop her from doing it.

If it matters, earlier she was doing that, I got her to stop after a couple of times and now they're shoved up against each other preening themselves.

In case anyone doesn't know, they're both DNA sexed girls and they have separate cages, though if I'm home they're out together.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Are they caged together?

I have seen at the rescue that I've volunteered at where one bird has overpreened it's friend. They were not caged together, but they did have out of the cage time together. You may want to seperate them when this occurs and get them redirected onto something else.

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
No, they aren't caged together. And neither one plucks themselves.

How do I redirect them when Ry starts overpreening Selphie?

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
No one knows how to distract her from plucking on Selphie?

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
Really? No one has ANY suggestions? This is driving me nuts, she's always picking on her anymore :( I need SOME way to get her to quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.