• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is Normal VS Abnormal Quaker Behavior?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I've only had my quaker for about 2 weeks now and I'm worrying about everything. I just wanted to know other parrot owners experiences on things that are and aren't normal for Quakers. I guess it would just be nice to have some concerning behaviors/signs that I should look out for. Any advice on behavior/health would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
For me, knowing activity levels and watching their appetite proved to be invaluable when Pippin fell ill. Knowing how much they nap during the day makes it much easier to see when they're acting abnormally sleepy. So when I noticed Pippin was full-on, head-tucked napping in the middle of the day, I knew something was amiss.

Unfortunately these are all things that vary from bird to bird, so while my Pippin may nap sparingly during the day, your bird may be different. As long as you're keeping an eye out for the usual signs of illness - abnormal droppings, fluffing up, etc. - you're doing just fine.