• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is his color?

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Im new to Parrotlets and I recently brought home this guy 20210222_174804.jpg and I cant figure out his color. I was told he is 2yrs old and an American Turquoise. Ive tried looking that up and I cant seem to find a bird with similar markings. He looks similar to fallow but he doesnt have red eyes. I believe he is a pacific parrotlet, is that right? He looks a lot like the yellow headed parrotlets but he doesnt have a dark mark on his beak. Any thoughts appreciated!

Here's one with the flash on:
20210223_183936.jpg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
The yellow mask makes the bird an "American yellow"

The body coloration makes the bird turquoise

Might also be called a "dilute turquoise" - although the term "dilute" may not be correct. Not too familiar with parrotlet mutations to know for sure.

wavywavy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rowan
He looks a lot like mine but a touch more vibrant and evenly colored- Mine is an American Turquoise (potentially pied and he has red eyes but not caused by color rather the fact hes blind)
I'd say yours looks like what they told you! I'd also say hes a Pacific.

1614453151646.png
This is an American Turquoise as listed here; Parrotlet Mutations

As Monica said as well, you can find the same color when searching for "Dilute Turquoise" however dilute is a retired (iirc) term and is no longer correct as the name of the mutation.

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you! The picture with the flash looks a bit brighter, but in person hes more of an olive green color and not yellow. Thats what had me so confused lol.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
They apparently can vary in color... from almost white birds with a yellow mask to very yellow bodies. Perhaps that doesn't help either?

Hermesbird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cat
What a beautiful boy! I think he's an American turquoise fallow Since he has the blueish marble like coloring, with good light he does look like a plain American yellow as well as what Monica said.

Also I want to add in that you should not house him with your budgies, and pay very close attention when they are out to play. They are loving birds but can and are very territorial when they decide something is theirs!
*Edited to add I had my budgie and parrotlet out to fly and spread there wings and my pleet launched and flew to attach my budgie... No more same play times

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I can't help with this kind of thing, but I wanted to say your bird is super cute!

Brooke12

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone. His color is so different than pictures I find on google. He kind of looks like everything lol.

Thank you for the advice, I wont have him out to play at the same time as them anymore. Could he be out at the same time with my Lovebird? Just curious if any other species could be out with him or if he needs to be alone. Although he hasnt come out of his cage since I brought him home. That photo was when I forced him to come out of his quarantine cage to go to his new main cage.