• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is he?

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I was captivated by this guy at the rescue today..
20210525_163502.jpg

Do you guys think he is a yellow shoulder, or something else? I didn't see the back of his head to check the nape.. he never took his eyes off me.

There was a female blue front next to him and she seemed bigger. There was also a female WFA on his other side and he's definitely bigger than that one.

He kept following me, climbing close to me in his cage. He was very quiet. I never heard a sound from him.
I talked to him and he started flashing his eyes and fanned his tail - I figured it was more of an aggressive type of posture since we had just met, but now I'm not sure.
I reached out and touched his foot a little and I was surprised he didn't pull away or snap, but I didn't want to make him uncomfortable so I didn't really interact more.

I really think I want to go back and see him again..

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm not an expert but possibly a Double Yellow Headed Amazon.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Waiting for them to call me back on my ask for more of his story.
If he is a DYH I'm a little more wary of that 'hot three' moniker.. though I'm seeing conflicting things about whether yellow shoulders are generally more aggressive or less lol.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I honestly didn't know Yellow Shouldered was a thing :lol:
I only found out yesterday when I combed through a thousand amazon pictures trying to figure it out!!
His head didn't look yellow enough for a DYH based on google images, but I am even less an expert :D

Although then that lead me back here and to so many old posts from a departed user and YSA lover :(

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yellow shoulder. They are reputed to be one of the best pet Amazons with mild temperaments.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
I now have an appt to spend more time with him on Friday..

I have been tempted by amazons multiple times because they are sometimes referenced as being similar to pionus.. and I love watching the ones that sing and laugh. I like a bird with a sense of humor..
But I always talk myself out of it because I assume I am too inexperienced to dive in with such a potentialtially "aggressive" bird.

So it's intriguing to me that out of the 6 or so amazons at the rescue, he was the only one I felt anything toward.. and it turns out he is probably a rare and possibly less temperamental type?
Hmm.

We'll see. I'm going to try to remember to bring my target stick with me and see if he is willing to work with it.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I now have an appt to spend more time with him on Friday..

I have been tempted by amazons multiple times because they are sometimes referenced as being similar to pionus.. and I love watching the ones that sing and laugh. I like a bird with a sense of humor..
But I always talk myself out of it because I assume I am too inexperienced to dive in with such a potentialtially "aggressive" bird.

So it's intriguing to me that out of the 6 or so amazons at the rescue, he was the only one I felt anything toward.. and it turns out he is probably a rare and possibly less temperamental type?
Hmm.

We'll see. I'm going to try to remember to bring my target stick with me and see if he is willing to work with it.
You have lots of time & birds need lots of time so if its a Amazon that catches your fancy then go with it...As you said you want to make a good first choice & be happy with it for a good long time.

I'm excited for you!

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Waiting for next update... Keeping my fingers crossed, hope you'll find your feathered baby. Don't worry about your lack of experience with hot headed amazon, we have a friend in this forum, who successfully adopted two adult male untamed hot amazons without any prior experience. (@Clueless , am I right?) ... My personal experience, I knew nothing about amazons (I don't know still) until I met my Inca (OWA)... But, I think nobody can resist those eyes with color and warmth like fire :heart: