• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What is a safe wood for parrot perches?

Herr Vogel

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jason Smith
I recently purchased two blue & gold Macaws. I'm keeping them in separate cages. I am using iron wood for the perches inside the cages and I would like to know what types of perch wood I can use at the top of their cages that is safe for them and that they can chew on without any health related problems. I visited Home Depot and they sell one and one half inch wooden dowels, however there is a small sticker labeled "P65 Warning". This basically says that the wood contains harmful chemicals! With that said can anyone recommend a safe perch wood that they can chew on without affecting their health? Also, where can I buy safe wooden perches? Thank you.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They are safe to chew and offer a piece of a bird’s natural environment. When choosing a wooden perch, make sure it doesn’t have any spray coating. Otherwise, it’s not safe to chew on. Manzanita perches are the toughest. Ash, dogwood, magnolia, and cholla are all a good choice of wood for natural perches. Willow, Aspen and the fruit trees can also be used.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@Macawnutz sells a wide selection of perches that are safe and that will hold up to a macaw. Here is a link to her wooden perches: Wood .

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
Apple and mulberry tree branches are safe. I would recommend not using dowel perches as they are very bad for birds feet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner