• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what in your opinion is “quality “ out of cage time

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
i’ve found myself questioning the way my pets lives are and if they’re as happy as they can be i do this to make sure i still have property husbandry and routine, i beat myself up a lot because i don’t take my girl out for 10+ hours a day. when ppl talk about free out of cage time, the thing i see a lot is the “quality of it” i’ve only seen one person expand and say it has a lot to do with training. while i think training is nice i don’t think it’s realistic for a 10 minute training session to enrich 4 hours out of the cage. my girl knows how to target and get herself out of sticky situations if they come about and that’s all i ask for
but i do wonder if our time together out of the cage is enriching enough for her. birds are intelligent and need a lot. usually we sit and cuddle and play, she’ll have breakfast and dinner outside of her cage with me (she eats more that way ;)) and she’ll destroy a piece of wood or ball that i give her. i say all this because i’d love to know what everyone thinks is enriching quality time + it would be nice not to stress myself out about having the perfect care 24/7

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Following this thread..

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I don't think there's a one size fits all answer.

So, I'll give one: I think enriching out-of-the-cage time is something the bird enjoys doing outside the cage that they can't really do or do the same way in it.

Flying's an obvious one. I tried to time my birds' out of cage time for when their zoomies were most likely to hit. That didn't always work, but I thought, even if they were just flying from rope to rope that was still more chance to stretch their wings than they got in their cage.

They also enjoyed playing in a cat water fountain that was far too big to go in their cage.

Exploring - usually wherever I least wanted them to go. If it's something your bird is into, hiding treats for them to find is a great way to keep them entertained.

We never got to the point of being truly hand-tame, but if I sat quietly, they would get up their nerve (like kids egging each other on to go ring the bell at the neighborhood "haunted house") to come down and eat millet out of my hand. I suppose that might count as training, but I think the value for them was that it was an interesting new thing for them to explore.

But, it could just be as simple as knowing they have more space than just their cage. Esmerelda was my explorer in these matters and she'd come out of her cage, maybe do a quick tour to see what was new, and then settle down to have a snoozle on the open door of her cage. Mustrum would be having the same snooze inside the cage, but she obviously valued just the fact that she was outside and could do what she wanted.

I don't think time is as important as them having autonomy to do things they enjoy.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You really helped to relieve my guilty feeling a bit... Inca comes out on his own, but he's not much interested in exploring. He sits relaxed and content on the cage door, then after some time he goes inside the cage... So, it's fine, then.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I don't think there's a one size fits all answer.

So, I'll give one: I think enriching out-of-the-cage time is something the bird enjoys doing outside the cage that they can't really do or do the same way in it.

Flying's an obvious one. I tried to time my birds' out of cage time for when their zoomies were most likely to hit. That didn't always work, but I thought, even if they were just flying from rope to rope that was still more chance to stretch their wings than they got in their cage.

They also enjoyed playing in a cat water fountain that was far too big to go in their cage.

Exploring - usually wherever I least wanted them to go. If it's something your bird is into, hiding treats for them to find is a great way to keep them entertained.

We never got to the point of being truly hand-tame, but if I sat quietly, they would get up their nerve (like kids egging each other on to go ring the bell at the neighborhood "haunted house") to come down and eat millet out of my hand. I suppose that might count as training, but I think the value for them was that it was an interesting new thing for them to explore.

But, it could just be as simple as knowing they have more space than just their cage. Esmerelda was my explorer in these matters and she'd come out of her cage, maybe do a quick tour to see what was new, and then settle down to have a snoozle on the open door of her cage. Mustrum would be having the same snooze inside the cage, but she obviously valued just the fact that she was outside and could do what she wanted.

I don't think time is as important as them having autonomy to do things they enjoy.
i think this was a beautifully thought out answer and i agree with everything you said!! especially with zoomies and just the novelty of being outside of the cage. wem loves climbing her cage and hopping onto the bed from her stand LMAO. i think it’s important to highlight that there’s not always one size fits all especially with animals!!

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
You really helped to relieve my guilty feeling a bit... Inca comes out on his own, but he's not much interested in exploring. He sits relaxed and content on the cage door, then after some time he goes inside the cage... So, it's fine, then.
as long as the birds are happy then thats that!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Just like for people, the answer will vary based on the individual.

My Quaker doesn't really like to play a ton with toys, so for him quality time is spent with his humans. Talking, preening, etc.

My Jardine's likes people, sure, but 10 minutes of one on one is all he really craves. After that, quality time for him is spent climbing, swinging, chewing, foraging, and staring out the window.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I agree it's different for each bird.
My macaw loves to wonder the house and ends up my bedroom (he can see into the living room), has a toy box there and plays happily by himself. Comes out to visit me off and on.
My Zon prefers hanging near his cage, he'll climb around on the several stands near by, but isn't a roamer.
My Too is on me, near me, follows me wherever I go, and is a general pain in the butt.

I think quality means giving the bird access to choose to do what they want (to a degree).
Mine have all been with me 20+ years and we know each other well.
Newer birds might not be safe to allow to roam as freely as mine do.

I have no structured 'training' time.
I may have had something like that years ago. :laugh:
Now we just live life.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I agree it's different for each bird.
My macaw loves to wonder the house and ends up my bedroom (he can see into the living room), has a toy box there and plays happily by himself. Comes out to visit me off and on.
My Zon prefers hanging near his cage, he'll climb around on the several stands near by, but isn't a roamer.
My Too is on me, near me, follows me wherever I go, and is a general pain in the butt.

I think quality means giving the bird access to choose to do what they want (to a degree).
Mine have all been with me 20+ years and we know each other well.
Newer birds might not be safe to allow to roam as freely as mine do.

I have no structured 'training' time.
I may have had something like that years ago. :laugh:
Now we just live life.
same! i used to train my macaws all the time. but i found it kinda was a bummer that by the time the days training was done their social meter was full with me and they didn’t want cuddles or a walk. this is one of my favorite threads i’ve started with all the positive posts!!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I try and allow Mojo as much time out as can be managed however there are things that get in the way grandchildren visiting, work etc.
She will happily play on her gym and have a good fly about however i have to be in the room with her she has to go with me if i leave the room.

I would say as a minimum she gets a couple of hours and can get up to 10 hours if i am home with nothing much to do.
Out of cage time has to fit into both mine and my wifes schedules.
I would rather have quality time out of her cage where i can be attentive to her than a load of time where i am distracted by other things and get frustrated when she wants to play whilst i am trying to do something else.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
i’ve found myself questioning the way my pets lives are and if they’re as happy as they can be i do this to make sure i still have property husbandry and routine, i beat myself up a lot because i don’t take my girl out for 10+ hours a day. when ppl talk about free out of cage time, the thing i see a lot is the “quality of it” i’ve only seen one person expand and say it has a lot to do with training. while i think training is nice i don’t think it’s realistic for a 10 minute training session to enrich 4 hours out of the cage. my girl knows how to target and get herself out of sticky situations if they come about and that’s all i ask for
but i do wonder if our time together out of the cage is enriching enough for her. birds are intelligent and need a lot. usually we sit and cuddle and play, she’ll have breakfast and dinner outside of her cage with me (she eats more that way ;)) and she’ll destroy a piece of wood or ball that i give her. i say all this because i’d love to know what everyone thinks is enriching quality time + it would be nice not to stress myself out about having the perfect care 24/7
In my opinion, quality time is determined on the bird and what they are used to. Some birds are content enough to be let out of the cage. They just like to sit on their cage, maybe fly around, maybe sit on a lap for a minute. Some birds are used to being out all day. Some are used to being played with all day. Being able to cope with time in the cage, or time no one is coddling them, helps them be independent.

For a while I was confused how people "played" with their birds. I tried very hard with my budgies and tiel, but I came to the realization that coming out of the cage was all they wanted. Whether or not I attempted to play with them, they didn't care. Bleh, I hope that wasn't too jumbled.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We've had Jasmine (U2) & Jengo (CAG) for 22 years. Got Jengo at 6 months of age, Jasmine at & months of age. JaJaBinks (B&G Macaw, passed last August), got her at 2 years of age & had her for almost 20 years. JaKhu (B&G Macaw), got her last August at 4 months of age. She is now 1 year & 3 months old. My birds are in my living room & dining room (big open archway), so they can see us & each other. They each have their own window to see outside. My birds are pretty quiet during the day & make most of their noises in the evening hours.

Jengo stays on her cage. Otherwise she likes to walk around on the floor. She doesn't like play gyms, but she does like the outside aviary & digging holes in the dirt. We call back & forth a lot especially in the evening. She likes foot toys & ripping up paper.

My birds are greeted every morning & drapes opened to let in the light. Drapes closed at dark & Jasmine gets covered. They get breakfast & taken outside late morning/early afternoon during spring/summer. In winter they spend more time in their cages, depending on what we are doing, but they all get time out of cage more so in the evening hours.

Jasmine will stay on her cage as long as you are in the room watching her. Otherwise she will climb off & destroy something like my sofa, drapes, etc. She used to come sit with me on my chair, ride on my shoulder, etc, but once her hormones kicked in she quit doing that. She likes the play gym & being outside in the aviary. She plays with all types of toys.

JaJaBinks would stay on her cage or go back in & swing on her swing. She was not destructive, so we could let her cage door open. She'd put herself to bed. She loved to swing & her tail would go in & out of the cage bars, while she yelled WEEEE. Other times she'd come into the kitchen, climb up the dog gate & sit & watch me while I prepared a meal. She would also walk into the living room, climb up on my chair & watch TV with me. She loved the aviary & going places. We used to take her to the Harley Club & she loved the motorcycles. She loved Halloween & screaming at the kids, then laughing at them. She loved Christamas & opening gifts. She was not big on toys, as she had none the first 2 years of her life. She'd beat them up, but not destroy them. Swings & boings were her favorite things.

JaKhu is a whole other story. OMG this bird is a feathered wrecking ball. Her main goal is to destroy as much as she can every day. I could give her a big box of toys & by the end of the day most would be in pieces. She is high energy all day long. She hardly stops. She loves foot toys, hanging toys & swinging. She plays on her back a lot & hangs upsided down a lot. She's on her back or upsoide down more than upright on her feet. She is pretty quiet & doesn't make much sound during the day. She is talking some, but not very loud. She eats her breakfast & then it's play, play, play with all her toys. She's very destructive. She loves being outside in the aviary & she keeps moving pretty much the whole time. They usually get a good 4 hours outside. I've done some training & she's learned Wings-Up/Big bird, Roll over. She almost has Summersalt, but not quite yet. Tried to teach her to hop, but she does a skip & then this swagger step. She will roll off the top of her cage, a high perch, etc., onto my hand. She was nippy from day one & we've been working on teaching her not to nip. So far she refuses to stay on her cage & can not be left alone for a second. She's super fast & can take a bite out of something in the blink of an eye. So I hope she calms down a bit in a few years. She had outside time on our big front porch when I first got her, because they had clipped her, but since then she's become fully flighted & flat out refuses to wear a harness. Every evening she plays on the parrot tower/gym for a good 3 hours before bed. We do some on her back, on my lap, play too. She will be in ongoing training, not so much for tricks, but lifestyle so she can be trusted not to eat my house if we have to leave the room. She's only flown across a room once on her own. I keep trying to toss her off my hand, but she won't go. So I think I need to set up a perch station & get her to fly back & forth, so she learns how to fly & land.

So how much quality time we spend with our birds depends on what we are doing that day.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
We've had Jasmine (U2) & Jengo (CAG) for 22 years. Got Jengo at 6 months of age, Jasmine at & months of age. JaJaBinks (B&G Macaw, passed last August), got her at 2 years of age & had her for almost 20 years. JaKhu (B&G Macaw), got her last August at 4 months of age. She is now 1 year & 3 months old. My birds are in my living room & dining room (big open archway), so they can see us & each other. They each have their own window to see outside. My birds are pretty quiet during the day & make most of their noises in the evening hours.

Jengo stays on her cage. Otherwise she likes to walk around on the floor. She doesn't like play gyms, but she does like the outside aviary & digging holes in the dirt. We call back & forth a lot especially in the evening. She likes foot toys & ripping up paper.

My birds are greeted every morning & drapes opened to let in the light. Drapes closed at dark & Jasmine gets covered. They get breakfast & taken outside late morning/early afternoon during spring/summer. In winter they spend more time in their cages, depending on what we are doing, but they all get time out of cage more so in the evening hours.

Jasmine will stay on her cage as long as you are in the room watching her. Otherwise she will climb off & destroy something like my sofa, drapes, etc. She used to come sit with me on my chair, ride on my shoulder, etc, but once her hormones kicked in she quit doing that. She likes the play gym & being outside in the aviary. She plays with all types of toys.

JaJaBinks would stay on her cage or go back in & swing on her swing. She was not destructive, so we could let her cage door open. She'd put herself to bed. She loved to swing & her tail would go in & out of the cage bars, while she yelled WEEEE. Other times she'd come into the kitchen, climb up the dog gate & sit & watch me while I prepared a meal. She would also walk into the living room, climb up on my chair & watch TV with me. She loved the aviary & going places. We used to take her to the Harley Club & she loved the motorcycles. She loved Halloween & screaming at the kids, then laughing at them. She loved Christamas & opening gifts. She was not big on toys, as she had none the first 2 years of her life. She'd beat them up, but not destroy them. Swings & boings were her favorite things.

JaKhu is a whole other story. OMG this bird is a feathered wrecking ball. Her main goal is to destroy as much as she can every day. I could give her a big box of toys & by the end of the day most would be in pieces. She is high energy all day long. She hardly stops. She loves foot toys, hanging toys & swinging. She plays on her back a lot & hangs upsided down a lot. She's on her back or upsoide down more than upright on her feet. She is pretty quiet & doesn't make much sound during the day. She is talking some, but not very loud. She eats her breakfast & then it's play, play, play with all her toys. She's very destructive. She loves being outside in the aviary & she keeps moving pretty much the whole time. They usually get a good 4 hours outside. I've done some training & she's learned Wings-Up/Big bird, Roll over. She almost has Summersalt, but not quite yet. Tried to teach her to hop, but she does a skip & then this swagger step. She will roll off the top of her cage, a high perch, etc., onto my hand. She was nippy from day one & we've been working on teaching her not to nip. So far she refuses to stay on her cage & can not be left alone for a second. She's super fast & can take a bite out of something in the blink of an eye. So I hope she calms down a bit in a few years. She had outside time on our big front porch when I first got her, because they had clipped her, but since then she's become fully flighted & flat out refuses to wear a harness. Every evening she plays on the parrot tower/gym for a good 3 hours before bed. We do some on her back, on my lap, play too. She will be in ongoing training, not so much for tricks, but lifestyle so she can be trusted not to eat my house if we have to leave the room. She's only flown across a room once on her own. I keep trying to toss her off my hand, but she won't go. So I think I need to set up a perch station & get her to fly back & forth, so she learns how to fly & land.

So how much quality time we spend with our birds depends on what we are doing that day.
all your birds seem so happy and like they’re thriving!! i totally agree, when was a beginner i felt like i had to have a STRICT schedule since that was what every care guide and every more experienced person has said. but i realized the excitement of keeping pets is showing them new things that enrich their daily life :p

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I try and allow Mojo as much time out as can be managed however there are things that get in the way grandchildren visiting, work etc.
She will happily play on her gym and have a good fly about however i have to be in the room with her she has to go with me if i leave the room.

I would say as a minimum she gets a couple of hours and can get up to 10 hours if i am home with nothing much to do.
Out of cage time has to fit into both mine and my wifes schedules.
I would rather have quality time out of her cage where i can be attentive to her than a load of time where i am distracted by other things and get frustrated when she wants to play whilst i am trying to do something else.
mojo is super cute!!!

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
In my opinion, quality time is determined on the bird and what they are used to. Some birds are content enough to be let out of the cage. They just like to sit on their cage, maybe fly around, maybe sit on a lap for a minute. Some birds are used to being out all day. Some are used to being played with all day. Being able to cope with time in the cage, or time no one is coddling them, helps them be independent.

For a while I was confused how people "played" with their birds. I tried very hard with my budgies and tiel, but I came to the realization that coming out of the cage was all they wanted. Whether or not I attempted to play with them, they didn't care. Bleh, I hope that wasn't too jumbled.
i totally agree. a lot of birds ive had wouldn’t ever entertain the idea of playing or tossing around a ball. i mostly attract cuddle bugs who just like flying around :heart:

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I have a brand new bird, so we're still learning each other, and what "quality time" is for her. Right now, most of her quality time is in her cage, but we're working on making it out of her cage. She spends a few minutes out, and then goes back home. Then a little later she comes out for a little longer, and so on. Eventually I hope to have her out for hours at a time, but it's all up to her. I want her life to be the best it can be, so we'll work at her pace.

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
I have a brand new bird, so we're still learning each other, and what "quality time" is for her. Right now, most of her quality time is in her cage, but we're working on making it out of her cage. She spends a few minutes out, and then goes back home. Then a little later she comes out for a little longer, and so on. Eventually I hope to have her out for hours at a time, but it's all up to her. I want her life to be the best it can be, so we'll work at her pace.
i think that’s a great way to do things! welcome to bird keeping!!! it’s always hard at first but it’ll be easier as time goes by, congrats on your cutie :)

Phoe Phoe

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hard question. Lately I have been taking mine everywhere on hikes walks and visiting various places. She also likes to just hang out in my shirt.

Never would have worked with my other one as he got car sick and was not cuddly