• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What If You Don't Have Treats

Status
Not open for further replies.

ParkersMom

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather
If you clicker train using treats...what happens if you are in a situation where you require a certain behavior but you don't have a treat ...ie out of the house or something...when they learn the trick do you have to continue to reward everytime...i would prefer to be able to teach tricks and have the final out come be non food related...like with dogs you start with treats and once they learn you don't have to use them anymore
thanks

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Give your bird lots and lots of praise in a tone of voice that says you are very pleased with them!:heart:​I never eliminated treats totally when training a bird or a dog.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Once the behavior is learned you do not need to reward each time. You can go back and reinforce using food. Dogs are treat driven but toy drive is a stronger response...they love the tug and pull. Birds like excitedment and drama and that can be a reward for a job well done. In fact when they are out there may be a bit of stress and not accept food but enjoy the praise more...at least mine do.

clicknparrot

Meeting neighbors
Of course you can always employ a Variable Schedule of Reinforcement (VSR), such as usual with dogs. Remember, though, tha Bob Bailey himseld doesnt advice the use of VSR.

Anyway, dont forget that treats can always be with you in the form of a caress, a sweet word... not necesarily some food, so there is no time where you dont have any treats. A sweet word to your parrot (used to get sunflowers seeds) will surprise him and he will feel rewarded...

Status
Not open for further replies.