• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What if a bird got stung by a bee/wasp/mosquito etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I have always been curious about this. It's been SO hot today, I had my fids outside, I was spraying them with the hose every half an hour due to them getting awfully hot even though they were in a shady spot. But earlier, we had a swarm of bee's continuously coming for the birds, landing on the bird cages, and I had to immediately bring the birds back inside because wherever they were put them, the bee's would follow, so now they're inside where it's boiling hot because of stupid bee's. Anyway, IF a bird was to get bitten by a bee/wasp/mosquito any other flying thing that that bites, what would happen, can any of these harm the birds?

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
Thats a good question. It's winter here so we will not need to worry about it until summer . I noticed that the birds kind of freak out when a bug would fly near them last summer.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have a friend in sw Fl that lost two macaws to black widow spiders.:(

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
You did the right thing. I lost a sun hen to a red back spider bite. I honestly don't know how they'd react to a bee etc. sting. As long as you use common sense like you did the chances are slim that anything would happen. I've had aviaries on and off for years (getting on for 20 years now :eek: ) and haven't had any issues aprt from that one spider bite. I now make sure I do regular spider checks and use a bird safe bug dead product.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I now make sure I do regular spider checks and use a bird safe bug dead product.
That's a good idea. I should tell my friend that's what she should do. She has been bitten herself as well. They get in the dark corners of the nest boxes of her macaws.:eek: I recently heard that ACV and/or eucalyptus oil sprayed into the corners of your home will keep spiders away. I wonder if this could be an alternative to bug spray?

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
a friend lost her Grey to a wasp sting. Suppose like us humans some can have a greater reaction to the sting?
We were swarming with them earlier this Summer and had to rush the birdcages indoors and manually kill the wasps who made it in with them, after their food dishes.
Interestingly the birds stayed still like statues not to cause any interest from the wasps, not daft are they?
Think if you know your bird has been stung would have it checked over by a Vet anyway for safety's sake. They can be given a quick antidote and save it going into anaphalactic shock. If that were to happen though it would be very quick. :omg:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If any bug flies within striking distance of my birds they are snatched out of the air and eaten.

It's pretty rare for a flying bug to get to a bird because they have feathers and not skin. The bug would have to land on them first. Then dig their way down and around all those feathers. The only place where skin is really exposed is near the eyes and on the feet. mosquitoes are probably the biggest worry. Small and silent. Spiders are sneaky and don't fly.

But like I said. Nothing gets past my birds eyes and anything that gets in range is in big trouble. :)

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
That's a good idea. I should tell my friend that's what she should do. She has been bitten herself as well. They get in the dark corners of the nest boxes of her macaws.:eek: I recently heard that ACV and/or eucalyptus oil sprayed into the corners of your home will keep spiders away. I wonder if this could be an alternative to bug spray?
I use a product called "coopex" which is pyrethrin based. I spoke to a number of breeders about this product before I used it and they all assured me that it was safe and specifically formulated for use in aviaries whilst birds were still present. I find it lasts about 6 months before creepies start coming back. I just mix it as per instructions and spray the edges, corners and any crevices.

Eucalyptus is meant to be very good in nest boxes.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I believe mosquitoes pass on the west nile virus to birds

I read it awhile back, but can't remember where at now

got anything sweet in the cages? like honey treat sticks? or something else they'd be attracted too? could be the reason they kept going around the birds

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
There was nothing in the cage but toys. I had been spraying them with the hose so I had to remove food and etc. I don't know, maybe it was because it was so hot yesterday - I thought it may have been the water. (them looking for water)

We actually had to cut down a tree that was attracting the bee's yesterday, there was at least 20, if not more. Maybe I annoyed them and they were seeking revenge. :lol:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
There was nothing in the cage but toys. I had been spraying them with the hose so I had to remove food and etc. I don't know, maybe it was because it was so hot yesterday - I thought it may have been the water. (them looking for water)

We actually had to cut down a tree that was attracting the bee's yesterday, there was at least 20, if not more. Maybe I annoyed them and they were seeking revenge. :lol:
that could be, they may have been using the tree for their home and you took it down so they were a bit ticked off

Hopefully they'll go away soon enough so the birds can enjoy their time outside w/out them pestering them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.