• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What have you inadvertently taught your bird?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I taught Tteok "boop" by accident. I touch his beak and I say boop - and he's started saying a tiny little "boop".

However, he's also trained me on it. He's sitting on my knee right now and I guess wanted attention. He picked his foot up, touched his beak, and said boop. Which of course made me go all "Oh my gawwwwd that was so cute" and he gets scritches.

I keep trying to catch the boop on video but he's like a small child who refuses to do the cute thing as soon as I point a camera at him.

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
I think Ekko has picked up and is trying to emulate me when I yell at one of the dogs. He's making a weird (and unattractive) vocalization that does not resemble anything I would say to him.

I might try to catch it on video. Not sure how to post them though!

Last edited:

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
I taught Tteok "boop" by accident. I touch his beak and I say boop - and he's started saying a tiny little "boop".

However, he's also trained me on it. He's sitting on my knee right now and I guess wanted attention. He picked his foot up, touched his beak, and said boop. Which of course made me go all "Oh my gawwwwd that was so cute" and he gets scritches.

I keep trying to catch the boop on video but he's like a small child who refuses to do the cute thing as soon as I point a camera at him.
That's adorable! Tteok is such an interesting name I must say, how did you come up with that name? :swoon: Mango tends to always have a sinister laugh before or after doing something naughty like tossing stuff off tables or even chewing important stuff of mine! And whenever I fuss about it she always does this dramatic head roll like I just lectured her to the point all of her feathers dropped off her head!

That's another thing I notice with Skittles too, whenever she's fussing at Mango for talking to herself in her cosy tent she immediately shushes up as soon as a camera is pointed at her - perhaps they (Tteok and Skittles) are just camera shy. Then you look over and see Mango urging to kiss the camera lenses :hilarious:

MangoTheLB

Meeting neighbors
I think Ekko has picked up and is trying to emulate me when I yell at one of the dogs. He's making a weird (and unattractive) vocalization that does not resemble anything I would say to him.

I might try to catch it on video. Not sure how to post them though!
Bahaha, it's hilarious when birds mimic their owners even in the slightest of ways! Whenever I argue with someone whether it's a family member or friend Mango always shouts "WHAT?" "GO GET EM!" or "YEAH!" and I always end up bursting with laughter :roflmao:

It's quite hectic to upload videos on here, Youtube is definitely a good option since it's much easier to work with.

VanSwss

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sara
Bahaha, it's hilarious when birds mimic their owners even in the slightest of ways! Whenever I argue with someone whether it's a family member or friend Mango always shouts "WHAT?" "GO GET EM!" or "YEAH!" and I always end up bursting with laughter :roflmao:

It's quite hectic to upload videos on here, Youtube is definitely a good option since it's much easier to work with.
Its amazing how quickly they pick things up. Ekko is about 4 months old and, though its not as clear as some other parrots, he says: Who's a good boy, Come here, Whatcha doin, Hello, he wolf whistles and he does try to do a kiss, but he does the mmmmmuah but he hasn't figured out how to do the actual kiss noise..I'm not actually sure if he is capable. He came from a breeder so had a clean slate when it comes to words. So I basically taught him or he learned all of that from me.

Now that I think more on it - I wonder if the ugly noise he's trying to make is a dog bark/growl..

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Tteok is such an interesting name I must say, how did you come up with that name?
I was struggling to name him for a good couple of weeks after getting him, and one night I was making tteokbokki and said out loud to myself "Tteok Tteok Tteok" and he repeated it :roflmao: it sounds like "duck" if you're trying to figure out how to say it. But he knows his name now and will often say "Tteok Tteok Tteok Tteok" to himself while he's walking around

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos always said "Hello, Telephone" when my phone rang. I liked it as his Hello was louder than my ringtone.
My phone sits on a table when I get home. The table is near Chaos. So if I'm in another room, his answering it brings me running to pick it up.

I started noticing he was saying "Hello, Telephone", and when I ran to pick it up, it wasn't ringing.

The booger learned to lie to get me to come to him! Sneaky, deceitful 'pretty smart' bird. :laugh:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made a YouTube channel for my bird videos :roflmao: that's probably the easiest way to do it.
Reading this reminded me to look up your YouTube vids and I'm watching the one about her noise levels as I type this and wow girl aha those screams could peel paint but she was so cute hanging from her cage yelling :heart:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Chaos always said "Hello, Telephone" when my phone rang. I liked it as his Hello was louder than my ringtone.
My phone sits on a table when I get home. The table is near Chaos. So if I'm in another room, his answering it brings me running to pick it up.

I started noticing he was saying "Hello, Telephone", and when I ran to pick it up, it wasn't ringing.

The booger learned to lie to get me to come to him! Sneaky, deceitful 'pretty smart' bird. :laugh:
Omg this is hilarious and adorable!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I taught Burt the two sayings I always say when feeding and replacing water which happens multiple times a day so he hears it a lot. I put water in and ask "Wanna drink?" I replace food and ask "Are ya hungry?" so now when he tosses food or water dishes he waits a few seconds then yells out to me that he wants a drink or he is hungry. :cautious::bored:

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Chaos will look at me sideways when I'm eating, then softly say "umm, looks good, huh?"'
How can I refuse that?!

Makes you wonder who's training who! :p

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chaos will look at me sideways when I'm eating, then softly say "umm, looks good, huh?"'
How can I refuse that?!

Makes you wonder who's training who! :p
Please get that on video!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Reading this reminded me to look up your YouTube vids and I'm watching the one about her noise levels as I type this and wow girl aha those screams could peel paint but she was so cute hanging from her cage yelling :heart:
She gets wild sometimes :roflmao: todayI had her on my hand and she flipped herself upside down and started flapping and screaming like crazy. I wasn't ready for that:laughin:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She gets wild sometimes :roflmao: todayI had her on my hand and she flipped herself upside down and started flapping and screaming like crazy. I wasn't ready for that:laughin:
From watching several of your vids back to back I can totally see that. She's a hoot and a half and such a cuddle bug. When she's gently preening your eyelashes it's so sweet and you can really see the bond yall have.
That sounds delightfully hilarious what a shame you couldn't have been videoing!

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From watching several of your vids back to back I can totally see that. She's a hoot and a half and such a cuddle bug. When she's gently preening your eyelashes it's so sweet and you can really see the bond yall have.
That sounds delightfully hilarious what I shame you couldn't have been videoing!
If she does it tomorrow I'll try to get it. It was wild - I initially thought she'd hurt herself or something scared her, but no. She's just insane :roflmao: she looooooves preening my eyelashes and face all over. It took some getting used to and I have to make sure I hold still because she's pinched me a few times. Didn't hurt but startled me like whoa:wideyed: She's my love, we've really clicked over such a short time that it's crazy. Sometimes I look at it and am a little confused how it happened haha

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she does it tomorrow I'll try to get it. It was wild - I initially thought she'd hurt herself or something scared her, but no. She's just insane :roflmao: she looooooves preening my eyelashes and face all over. It took some getting used to and I have to make sure I hold still because she's pinched me a few times. Didn't hurt but startled me like whoa:wideyed: She's my love, we've really clicked over such a short time that it's crazy. Sometimes I look at it and am a little confused how it happened haha
It reminds me of that crazy M2 Mango I believe his name is on that YouTube video swinging upside down flapping his wings from a cage door.

It was ment to be,I absolutely believe that. You can easily see the connection yall have :heart: