• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What grains are safe for lovebirds?

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
Hello٫ Lately i have been trying to add more variety to my lovebird's chop٫ sometimes i look at grains in the pantry and I do some reasearch on whether or not they are safe for lovebirds. Usually it comes up with some stuff about wild birds٫and i have trouble finding an answer٫ so im turning to the forum for help. I wanna know if٫ raw barley or barley in general is safe٫ if barley groats are safe٫ if rice is safe. Now i don't know if oatmeal is a grain or not but i will ask if it is safe for not too.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would be inclined to cook the grains in water before offering them to a bird. If I'm adding them to chop that will be frozen, I undercook them slightly so they absorb the water from the veg.

I've fed brown rice, quinoa, buckwheat and pearled spelt before. All were cooked before adding them to the mix.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
i always cook my grains before i feed them. i have used red, white, and black quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, wheat, rye, barley and bulgur before.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I too am in the cook camp :) Most grains are safe for birds both raw and cooked, but because other parts of their diet is so drying (pellets, seeds, etc), cooking ensures they are still getting much needed moisture in the diet.

I've used oats, amaranth, red/white/black quinoa, red/white/brown rice, wild rice, barley, spelt, millet.... Lots of good grains out there!

cheekypie

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the help everyone! Right now the chop includes٫ brown rice٫ chia seeds٫ barley٫ quinoa٫ bell pepper٫ carrots٫ broccoli٫ spinach٫ romanain lettuce٫ and cabbage. Let me know if thats a good amount of nutrition.