• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Games Does Your Cockatoo Like?

scrape

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
What games do your Too(s) like to play? Lovie is a bit hormonal right now, so any games involving hands are too flirty. I will toss toys to the top of his cage for him to throw off. He doesn't like being bounced, but I can hold him upside down and he is good with that. We have played peekaboo. Anything your Too enjoys playing?
Also, he likes to play where he opens his beak and I open my mouth. We copy that for a good minute and he watches me so curiously.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Not a Too, but my Tiel liked Peek-a-boo. I wouldn't even have to use my hands, I'd hide behind my desk and pop back up again.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jasmine (U2) does the bouncy dance. She also does this weird thing with her wings where she jerks them up in stages then all the way up.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis is obsessed with playing catch. I had to teach him to "station" though. Meaning he has to either go to a certain spot or turn around before I will throw it. He would sometimes get too exited and grab the sock we play with before I threw it which resulted in some finger bites. But he learned very quickly to station and he will literally play that all day if he could.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Not a Too, but my Tiel liked Peek-a-boo. I wouldn't even have to use my hands, I'd hide behind my desk and pop back up again.
My tiel Felix liked to play peekaboo too. His voice wasn't very clear but the repitition was there!
Jasmine (U2) does the bouncy dance. She also does this weird thing with her wings where she jerks them up in stages then all the way up.
Aw that's so cute! Definitely worth videotaping! There is a female U2 at the rescue who likes to dance. So much fun. Lovie is not interested.
Elvis is obsessed with playing catch. I had to teach him to "station" though. Meaning he has to either go to a certain spot or turn around before I will throw it. He would sometimes get too exited and grab the sock we play with before I threw it which resulted in some finger bites. But he learned very quickly to station and he will literally play that all day if he could.
Lovie wandering on the floor results in chewed trim in seconds. Your stories taught me to be careful when using objects to play. A lot of animals get excited and have an accident. A very long sock is needed for tug-of-war:roflmao:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Only really 2 games that Birdie likes as far as I’ve found- I think his favourite is trying to trick me into having hands or body parts close enough for him to bite, I hate this game but I pretend I don’t even notice it while keeping check that I’m always at a safe enough distance lol and he also really likes to sometimes play a little game of copy you copy me, one of us either taps or whistles a tiny tune and the other copies and if its copied close enough he stands up tall and vocally cheers (either long whistling or a sound similar to human cheering) while doing a really dorky crest up exaggerated head nod. I much prefer the copy me game!

Burt plays many more games than Birdie but hopefully with some more time Birdie will learn some more.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Aside from anting, Luv Bug adores manipulating moving parts. She puts toy parts together & likes taking them apart even more. She likes to unscrew quick links, especially if I've filled them with beads for her to remove. I can work on filling one or two while she takes one apart, but I have to hand one over as soon as she finishes the other or risk a nip. Same with legos. She pops them apart as fast as I can slap them together so hubby has to help build to keep up. Build a random chunk, toss it to her, pick up the loose ones & build again before she runs out. She's like a built in timer! :bvryafd:

Puffin is our resident dancer. She will dance alone or with someone, with or without music. And she's got some great moves. :xflove:

And both girls seem to like our version of peekaboo. I duck down behind the edge of their cage (they can totally see me) & they run to the edge to "startle" me. I gasp & my fingers tap-chase them a little way. Then I try to "sneak" my fingers up the cage to touch their feet and "run away" for them to chase my hand. I love how excited they get running with their crests up! Excited.gif And I never try to pick them up even we play this game or they wouldn't trust me.

Last edited:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Only really 2 games that Birdie likes as far as I’ve found- I think his favourite is trying to trick me into having hands or body parts close enough for him to bite, I hate this game but I pretend I don’t even notice it while keeping check that I’m always at a safe enough distance lol and he also really likes to sometimes play a little game of copy you copy me, one of us either taps or whistles a tiny tune and the other copies and if its copied close enough he stands up tall and vocally cheers (either long whistling or a sound similar to human cheering) while doing a really dorky crest up exaggerated head nod. I much prefer the copy me game!

Burt plays many more games than Birdie but hopefully with some more time Birdie will learn some more.
Cat and mouse right? I bet he loves your reaction. One of the macaws at the rescue tries to get close, technically he has never bit me but I think his intentions are pretty obvious. Talk about stalking:laugh:

Aside from anting, Luv Bug adores manipulating moving parts. She puts toy parts together & likes taking them apart even more. She likes to unscrew quick links, especially if I've filled them with beads for her to remove. I can work on filling one or two while she takes one apart, but I have to hand one over as soon as she finishes the other or risk a nip. Same with legos. She pops them apart as fast as I can slap them together so hubby has to help build to keep up. Build a random chunk, toss it to her, pick up the loose ones & build again before she runs out. She's like a built in timer! :bvryafd:

Puffin is our resident dancer. She will dance alone or with someone, with or without music. And she's got some great moves. :xflove:

And both girls seem to like our version of peekaboo. I duck down behind the edge of their cage (they can totally see me) & they run to the edge to "startle" me. I gasp & my fingers tap-chase them a little way. Then I try to "sneak" my fingers up the cage to touch their feet and "run away" for them to chase my hand. I love how excited they get running with their crests up! View attachment 408116 And I never try to pick them up even we play this game or they wouldn't trust me.
AW! You girls would be stars on the internet! What kind of legos do you give her? The normal kind? Lovie might like those, but I think he could break them.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What kind of legos do you give her? The normal kind? Lovie might like those, but I think he could break them.
We buy a few sets of the cheapy knock-offs in the Target $1 bins whenever we see them. She can chew them & actually twists the plastic. Real legos would probably not bend, but stronger beak might break 'em. But they're just the regular size, not Duplos or anything.