• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What free flight realy looks like...

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Not much! :laugh-bounce: this little wooded area is just behind our property so Saphira thinks it's her territory and likes to hang out in the trees.
20200401_145640.jpg

It's out of direct view from our house and if she didn't answer my contact calls, I would have trouble locating her! just to show you that I see more of this than majestic flights some days... and even though you'd think a flashy Macaw would be hard to lose sight of... they blend in with nature suprisingly well. Just imagine what it's like with smaller birds...

Also, out of view range exploratory flights always happen at some point, so don't underestimate it thinking your bird is so bonded to you that it won't fly away. The first few times, she was still learning how to descend in circles and I nearly had a heart attack! even though she did fine and I was expecting it, there's always a learning curve that you can't replicate before hand.

The first few times they land in high trees like this, no matter how well you've trained them inside and outside... they have trouble getting down. For her first time, I remember it took her 3 hours and a few missed tries to fly down and land on me. The same happened with my patagonian conure at first, she now has nearly 3 years of experience and is amazing.

My point is, if you're interested in this lifestyle, I advise you to seek professionnal advice, not risk trying it out on your own... you'll need guidance from someone very experienced and the emotional support that comes with it. If you're not interested in free flying your companions, please try and recall train them indoors! it only takes a minute for them to escape and it's realy your best chance to get them back in case it happens. It's also a super healthy and bonding daily excercise!

Please don't think clipping their wings will keep them safe... it just makes them more vulnerable should they escape. Instead, teach them to fly down to you from high perches in the house, recall when you're hiding out of view, get them used to responding to a loud wistle that they can hear from a distance, get them used to their outdoor environment either in a cage, aviary, travel cage, harness... so it's familiar enough that they won't panic and fly off, should they get out. Also, get them used to natural outdoor branches with leaves and everything so they know how to land on them and navigate them. Many inexperienced birds are afraid of landing on trees because it doesn't look safe with all the tiny bendy branches and leaves. They keep flying further and higher because of it...

You'll have a much higher chance of finding a confident parrot that's properly recall trained and has the flight skills to stay safe. The vast majority of lost birds are too scared and inexperienced to focus on finding their way back to you or sit somewhere safe and call for you...

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
Free flight is a heavy discussion, that will get some very heated coments, but i must admit its very awesome to look at :heart:
That's why this discussion contains multiple warnings... I'm sharing my experience and my views but would never say that it's a good option for all owners, all species and all parrots out there... because it's not. Far from it! however, when possible, I believe safe flight training indoors and some kind of outdoor desensitisation definitely is. ;)

This post was inspired by my desire to help keep parrots safe because we're starting to live with the windows wide open some days, spring is well on it's way... and I've already seen a spike in the lost parrots adverts. Wether the birds escape their homes, are lost because of a free flight accident or because of a lack of knowledge and experience... it just gets to me. :sad8:

Regarding my parrots lifestyle, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the subject. I'm open minded so there's no need for anything to get heated... :)

Skye

Strolling the yard
Wow! As a person whose biggest pet birds were cockatiels, I didn't even know such training existed! Honestly, it looks like a great way to enrich your parrot's life, when done correctly. :)

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It took me forever to find her! She blends in really well.

(If you haven't found her yet, she's between the tops of the two leafless trees on a branch, just a little spot of yellow and blue)

Ella.pi

Avenue Veteran
She does blend in, doesn't she! Once the trees have a full coverage of leaves, it's even harder to spot them! that's when having loud parrots comes in handy!

I never leave them out when I'm not there to supervise of course. Some free flight enthusiats go out to specific locations to fly their birds and train them not to land in trees but I mostly fly them at home, so I alow them to play and explore. It's a controled freedom as they are trained to always come back when called.

I don't feel comfortable flying them in unknown locations though... well... I am with Chiloe but Saphira often has a harness on. I'm scared of her flying off and not recognising her environnement enough to navigate safely back to us... I think she'd probably be fine but as it makes me nervous, it's not worth it.

I'm working on trying to take a few slow motion captures to share with you...