• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What ectoparasites can birds catch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RhysB1993

Checking out the neighborhood
Are there any? Do they get types of mites? Flea's? Anything?

I can't seem to find anything on this.

Thanks in advance.

Chevelle

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jessica
I've heard of birds getting fleas if they are ill/have an underlying illness/low immune system.

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I just recently got chickens for the first time. Do I need to worry about transmitting anything to my parrotlets?

WhoaNellie

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
More specifically, can the parrotlets get the same lice/mites as chickens?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I just recently got chickens for the first time. Do I need to worry about transmitting anything to my parrotlets?
Congrats on your new chickens! We've had chickens for almost 11 years. (they're all pets). well, if your chickens haven't been wormed then they might have worms which could be transmitted to your parrotlet. Feed stores and Tractor supply store sells chicken wormer (it's different from cattle etc)- we worm ours several times a year just to be on the safe side.

More specifically, can the parrotlets get the same lice/mites as chickens?
I'm not sure, if you think your chickens have lice/mites, then get some 7 Dust (you can get it from Walmart I think and Homedepot, maybe several other places). After you clean the coop out then sprinkle seven dust all over the floor of the coop and on the chickens feathers/sorta rub them into their feathers. 7 Dust kills lice and mites on chickens and if your chickens enjoy dustbathing put 7 dust in the spot they enjoy bathing in. Then as a precaution, wash your hands once you come inside, and before handling your parrotlet. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.