• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does your vet say about Powder Coated Cages and zinc + lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
When I took Bokka into the vets yesterday. Dr. Unapproved vendor surprised. He said powder coated cages are 100% fine and I shouldn't worry about zinc and lead. He says the chances that someone's bird would get zinc poisoning from their cage is so small most vets would ask if they have eaten or have access to zinc type toys(black rubber, bells, chains) before thinking the cage is the culprit. I thought this very interesting. What does everyone's vets say on this? I'm just curious. As for the longest time I have beat myself up for not being able to provide SS cages, its on my "one day" list.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
When Dende was diagnosed with Heavy Metal Poisoning my avian vet excluded his cage immediately as the culprit because it is powder coated. I guess she feels the same as your vet does about the matter.

chompie_puppy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
I should add that Dende is a Lorikeet and not strong enough to chew the paint off his cage bars. So that might have something to do with it as well...

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as the powder coating is sound and not peeling off anywhere and exposing the underlying base metal I think it's fine. The base metal is loaded with toxic metal like zinc.

I have heard that some really cheap powder coating (like cages from china) have shown higher levels of bad stuff. No personal experience with that.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have three vets but the one I see most often says that he doesn't feel it's an issue at all UNLESS you have a bird who chews bars. In that case he feels strongly that SS is the way to go. He was very happy that Lola had an SS cage. I haven't asked my other two yet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.