• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does your parrot eat every day?

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
What does your parrot eat every day? What does he eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I was wondering if you could give me an idea

My parrot eats this for breakfast.
IMG_20210413_094022_edit_207883808163591.jpg

He then eats fruit and vegetables.
IMG_20210408_115536.jpg

He eats hand-fed food at dinner.
Screenshot_20210409_203239_com.huawei.browser_edit_98566245481313.jpg

What should I give him different?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mine gets pellets all day, chop in the morning, and nuts in Foragers and at night :)

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
What does your parrot eat every day? What does he eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I was wondering if you could give me an idea

My parrot eats this for breakfast.
View attachment 379171

He then eats fruit and vegetables.
View attachment 379172

He eats hand-fed food at dinner.
View attachment 379173

What should I give him different?
so yummy !!! mercury eats collard greens, kale, carrots, broccoli, a little bit of cucumber, blueberries/blackberries/raspberries when he needs fruit, snap peas including the shell, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, and I try a new fruit/veggie with him every week!! this mix of fresh food is available outside of his cage along with water, and water and roudybush pellets inside of his cage :) he gets scrambled eggs once every other week, and pasta, rice,oat mixes once every week :gcc1:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have become a bit of a slacker with variety lately. I need to get better with it. My tiels get some seeds, senior nutriberries and freeze dried chop in the mornings. I also leave them some millet when I leave for work. For dinner, they get more freeze dried chop and sometimes some Higgins Worldly Cuisine.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
so yummy !!! mercury eats collard greens, kale, carrots, broccoli, a little bit of cucumber, blueberries/blackberries/raspberries when he needs fruit, snap peas including the shell, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, and I try a new fruit/veggie with him every week!! this mix of fresh food is available outside of his cage along with water, and water and roudybush pellets inside of his cage :) he gets scrambled eggs once every other week, and pasta, rice,oat mixes once every week :gcc1:
Thank you for your ideas

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I have become a bit of a slacker with variety lately. I need to get better with it. My tiels get some seeds, senior nutriberries and freeze dried chop in the mornings. I also leave them some millet when I leave for work. For dinner, they get more freeze dried chop and sometimes some Higgins Worldly Cuisine.
Thank you for information

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would start introducing pellets into his breakfast portions ASAP.
That menu looks light for a juvie macaw.
Is the evening formula just a comfort feed? I would be giving him moistened pellets to try as an appetizer before the full formula feed. Really get him going on pellets if you can. He’s going to get to a growth point where formula isn’t meeting his needs, and you don’t have anything in his menu right now that is going to if you don’t get him on a balanced pellet.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Mine has pellets available all the time.
He gets a mix of veggies for breakfast and afternoon tea, I choose things like pumpkin, sweet potato, peas, kale, broccoli, capsicum, chilli etc (I change it frequently so he doesn’t get bored but he always has some orange, red and green veg each day) and also chickpeas, rice, lentils, or other grains/legumes.
He gets sprouts too when I make them but he tends to get bored with them very fast so I don’t offer them every day anymore.
He will be offered fruit once (sometimes twice if he’s lucky) a day but not a lot of it even though he loves fruit- I choose things like blueberries, mango, blackberry, raspberry most often but he really loves banana and grape too.
He also gets a small amount of chicken or fish each week as well as some other bits and pieces from what we are eating.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I would start introducing pellets into his breakfast portions ASAP.
That menu looks light for a juvie macaw.
Is the evening formula just a comfort feed? I would be giving him moistened pellets to try as an appetizer before the full formula feed. Really get him going on pellets if you can. He’s going to get to a growth point where formula isn’t meeting his needs, and you don’t have anything in his menu right now that is going to if you don’t get him on a balanced pellet.
Good idea. Thank you

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Mine has pellets available all the time.
He gets a mix of veggies for breakfast and afternoon tea, I choose things like pumpkin, sweet potato, peas, kale, broccoli, capsicum, chilli etc (I change it frequently so he doesn’t get bored but he always has some orange, red and green veg each day) and also chickpeas, rice, lentils, or other grains/legumes.
He gets sprouts too when I make them but he tends to get bored with them very fast so I don’t offer them every day anymore.
He will be offered fruit once (sometimes twice if he’s lucky) a day but not a lot of it even though he loves fruit- I choose things like blueberries, mango, blackberry, raspberry most often but he really loves banana and grape too.
He also gets a small amount of chicken or fish each week as well as some other bits and pieces from what we are eating.
Thank you so much.

mochiballs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
My guys get pellets all day, along with the option of foraging for some nutriberries.
Breakfast is generally bird bread with veggies baked into it.
Lunch they get fresh chop ad then dinner they get offered chop/bread again.
They've been getting a pasta mix from some bird bistro as well lately for lunch.
Training they get millet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Nnbal I'd cut way down on he amount of fruit you are giving him. Fruit is high in sugar and sugar metabolizes right to fat. Try giving him a lot more protein - you want him to grow and gain on protein, not fat.

Beans, tofu, romaine lettuce, nuts, eggs (no more than once a week) and some grains are high in protein. Absolutely get him on pellets. Here is an extensive list of pellets. You wan one with no sugar, no dyes and as high of a protein contents as possible. My favorites are Harrison's, Tropican and Roudybush. Pellets for Parrots

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I went to your other posting, and you said your macaw is just over a year old.

I do think he is just wanting a warm comfort feeding from you in the evenings right now.

I would purchase at least some NutriBird P15 and start introducing him to that. Search the forum for good tricks to get him to accept, if needed. He may surprise you and want them right away, too.

NutriBird isn’t my favorite for macaws, but I’m not sure what all is available in your country. If you’re able to buy the Versele hand feed formula, the NutriBird should be available too.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I went to your other posting, and you said your macaw is just over a year old.

I do think he is just wanting a warm comfort feeding from you in the evenings right now.

I would purchase at least some NutriBird P15 and start introducing him to that. Search the forum for good tricks to get him to accept, if needed. He may surprise you and want them right away, too.

NutriBird isn’t my favorite for macaws, but I’m not sure what all is available in your country. If you’re able to buy the Versele hand feed formula, the NutriBird should be available too.
1 or 7? I remember reading both ages in reference to this cutie.

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I have these two.But I don't know the brand of the one on the left. Our vet sent it like this. Which one should I use.

IMG_20210415_094556.jpg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not familiar with either of the pellets you have so I can’t advise which is best to use. I’d probably offer both- my bird gets a mix of pellets made by different companies.

You can offer some just how they are.
You can crush them and sprinkle over wet food like veg.
You can soak some in water and offer them mushy

I actually make some pellets into a powder and my boy gets some powder that I mix with warm water into a paste every afternoon. He loves it!
He also has pellets available to eat anytime he wants them.

Some people have great success getting their bird to try new things by eating it in front of them- you can eat a few of the pellets yourself or pretend to if it will encourage your bird to try them ;)

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I’m not familiar with either of the pellets you have so I can’t advise which is best to use. I’d probably offer both- my bird gets a mix of pellets made by different companies.

You can offer some just how they are.
You can crush them and sprinkle over wet food like veg.
You can soak some in water and offer them mushy

I actually make some pellets into a powder and my boy gets some powder that I mix with warm water into a paste every afternoon. He loves it!
He also has pellets available to eat anytime he wants them.

Some people have great success getting their bird to try new things by eating it in front of them- you can eat a few of the pellets yourself or pretend to if it will encourage your bird to try them ;)
Thank you for information

Pepebirdie

Walking the driveway
Yum! Idk how old your bird is but if he is over 1yr then you need to wean him off formula. The meals look a little light for a macaw. Definitely start with pellets. My fave recipe for getting my bird to eat pellets is birdie bread. It uses powdered pellets (ground up in the blender) and a bunch of veggies and fruits. Watch the birdie bread tutorial on the Flock Talk on YouTube. I make it all the time! He loves it. Also, have you tried making chop? It's a blend of veggies and grains among other things that are make using a chopper/grinder I noticed you cut up the veggies into tiny pieces. Using the chopper makes it much less time consuming and you can also add a variety of veggies so they get more veggies. You can freeze it in large batches and it can last a long time so the food will not go bad. There are a lot of great videos and recipes on YouTube if you need more info. But it is super simple to make!