• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does this poop mean?

Ruby

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Asma
Last week, I got a baby lovebird, the owner told me she might be around 6 weeks.
This is my precious baby, her name is lapis.

03CAE184-1DD2-4B67-97B6-F33F56A38883.jpeg

She refused the formula when i got her home, and when I introduced seeds she immediatly ate some. I tried getting her to eat formula as she was still in need of their nutrients but she refused and weaned herself.

So, she also was put in a bigger cage yesterday but then she stopped eating, she was eating like crazy when I feed her myself but in the cage I think it is a bit scary for her so I might move her back to smaller cage until she gets more confident with bigger cages and with flying.
she is out with me most of the day except for when I go out for grocery, shopping, hospital etc.

So, this happened only yesterday, her poop was less often and white with a bit of yellowish urinate.
0F16C7AB-C24B-45EF-BA3C-EE078AED6F4F.jpeg 032C2766-AD6C-44CC-9F62-2DE2C4157EAE.jpeg

After she ate from my hand she had darker poop.

B9997A70-AED8-43B5-B8D7-C838671C8A98.jpeg

She eats harrisons pellets and seed mix. She refuse vegetables but am still offering her veggies.

I am so scared that she might be not feeling well. Please help me.

She is my first baby bird.

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
She's so pretty!
Wish I could help with the droppings, but all I can say is they look quite watery. What's she eating?
Others will be able to help better than I have.

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
She's so pretty!
Wish I could help with the droppings, but all I can say is they look quite watery. What's she eating?
Others will be able to help better than I have.
Thank you, she eats harrisons high potency pellets and grandmix seed mix for lovebirds but I take sunflower seeds from the mix as I read that it is considered a treat rather than food.
She goes crazy for pellets.
I keep offering veggies but she still is not intrested in them.

CEC0391F-71BE-4AA0-AF67-9758B0E15CD9.jpeg

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
Now she had this droppings. She keeps eating the pellets. I took the pellets from her now.

Attachments

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
She keeps eating, then I take the food and she goes back to sleep and wake up to look for food and eat nonstop.

this is her last droppings. Now am really scared.
45DA8E67-E1E9-4A01-9E0C-F98A3CAF8ECB.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If you take the pellets away what does she have to eat and is it something you’ve witnessed her eating well on her own?

When is her first vet appointment for her new bird wellness check?

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
If you take the pellets away what does she have to eat and is it something you’ve witnessed her eating well on her own?

When is her first vet appointment for her new bird wellness check?
She have access to pellets and seeds in her cage but when she is with me she eats very well, but I took the seeds and pellets because she was eating nonstop unless I take them away.

we don’t have avian vet around, but we have some acceptable vets here.Her appoint will be after 12 days from today.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
Is it because she was stressed when she moved to a new home?
I was with my family when i got her and stayed for few days before coming back home and putting her in a new bigger cage.

what shall I do now, is it really dangerous?
my daughter love playing with her.

I will try taking her to the vet as soon as possible.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Look at your beautiful baby!

I do think Chlamydia is very likely, with a young bird, plus higher incidents seen in love birds species, and these bright green urates .

A link to my thread with Chlamydia poop pic

Avain Chlamydia is a weird bacterial infection in birds, it can have dormant periods and hide out in internal organs, some birds are hidden intermittent shedders if the bacteria and is often present in any large collection of birds. Some birds get very sick and even can pass away, dome become chronic low grade sick, some are carriers and don't have symptoms. Any bird with symptoms or testing positive must be treated.

Good news antibiotic prescribed by doctor called doxycycline will treat your bird. And they respond well with big improvement after a week or 10 days. But must take fir 45 days!!! Because if the cycle of this bacteria must be 45 days. A relapse and second round of 45 days is very common. The medication is cheap, it's very well tolerated by birds . Everything must be cleaned and cleaned and cleaned as bacteria can survive in environment for months .

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
She had this and sny stress like moving to s new home does let infections get the upper hand. Or it can take 2 weeks in average to show up after exposure.

Make sure she has free choice if pellets at all times. Get a digital scale and track her weights. Sometimes more support is needed.

Get in to avian veterinarian.

( If ) she has this
Humans can pick this up from birds tho doesn't happen that often. But kids and elderly have lower immune. In humans it's called parrot fever . Usually fever plus respiratory or flu symptoms very easy to treat in human s only on average 10 day treatment of doxy. Do tell your human doctor if sny development of symptoms that you have have a possible Chlamydia positive bird

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I know this seems scary. But really once they get in the antibiotic they start recovering, and no long term effects.
Unless they develop eye symptoms, and the eyes aren't treated. If eye symptoms they will need eye drops ( veterinarian prescribed ones) for eyes as well to prevent possible scars on eyes and complications.

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
At first when I got her she was a bit heavy and had strong grip.. but now she is barely gripping my finger and feels a bit light.

I think she really might have chlamydia. She is not playing or calling for me to take her out like usual . Plus she is sleeping in her food bowl or on cage floor and she is sleeping all the time. And eating like crazy.
Can I hold her? My heart is breaking in pieces when seeing her like this.

I asked my husband to rush home so we could take her to the vet. Hopefully by tomorrow.

Last edited:

Ruby

Real Name
Asma
I do have a digital scale but I did not weigh her first time I got her.

today she was 42 g.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Of course you can hold her.
When sick you don't want to stress them or have them exert themselves.
Xtra warmth is always helpful. I have a radiant heatet fir birds. You might put a sheet then a heating pad clipped into side of cage but in the outside of cage near where she likes to sit. Be very aware of fire risk or melting plastic ( fumes toxic) even turn up the heat in your a few degrees helps.