• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does lopsided flight feather growth mean?

bigwylee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
wylee
My cockatiel came to me with his wings clipped, and I always let him have them for a bit and to practice flying when they grow back and then go to get them to recut because he gets into a lot of trouble regarding flying... But I've noticed that when his flight feathers start to grow in that they usually grow in first on one side, and then after those are fully grown the other side starts. Right now his flight feathers on his right-wing have fully grown but haven't on the left... Does anyone know why this happens?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry for not answering your actual question but I feel it’s more important for you to understand that your bird will never ever master the act of flying (which is actually really important for all aspects of health) living in this cycle. All birds (including wild ones) crash and bump about until they learn how to master controlling their wings. Clipping is why your bird keeps getting into trouble instead of actually learning to stay out of it altogether.

bigwylee

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
wylee
Oh, that makes sence! thank you for letting me know.