• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it mean?

june bug

Moving in
Real Name
Glenda
Hi everyone. So I'm new to being a cockatiel guardian, and I've only had her for a couple of weeks now. So what does it mean when she opens her beak wide repeatedly at me without making a sound? If I had to guess I'd say she wants me to back off some. She will eat short pieces of millet spray from my hand, but that is the only thing she will tolerate with me for now. I am spending time in her presence, and read my bible to her in the mornings, hoping she will get more comfortable in my presence.

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
Hi everyone. So I'm new to being a cockatiel guardian, and I've only had her for a couple of weeks now. So what does it mean when she opens her beak wide repeatedly at me without making a sound? If I had to guess I'd say she wants me to back off some. She will eat short pieces of millet spray from my hand, but that is the only thing she will tolerate with me for now. I am spending time in her presence, and read my bible to her in the mornings, hoping she will get more comfortable in my presence.
Either she has something stuff in her mouth, she’s yawning or she is telling you to back away

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How old is she?

june bug

Moving in
Real Name
Glenda
How old is she?
She is almost 1 year and half now. I don't think she has ever been socialized. I got her from a pet store, and they had her for a good 6 months, and had been at another store that couldn't sell her. So most likely a good year in a store.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She is almost 1 year and half now. I don't think she has ever been socialized. I got her from a pet store, and they had her for a good 6 months, and had been at another store that couldn't sell her. So most likely a good year in a store.
Most likely telling you to back off then. Keep doing what you're doing. Time and patience. Reading to her is great and keep trying with the millet. Where is her cage located?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Welcome Glenda - we'd LOVE to see pictures! ;)
:welcomesign:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:welcomegroup: