• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it mean?

Papillon66

Moving in
Real Name
Rose Sciberras
What does it mean when an adult female IRN (not sure about her age but not very old) opens the top of her wings slightly and swings her head from side to side. Is she angry, just showing off, wants attention, just being playful? I have absolutely no idea. Any clues? Thanks.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
just showing off,
...yes...
wants attention
yes, yes...
being playful?
...yes, yes ,yes!

When she's showing those behaviors, what's going on around her? Anger or fear are things you'd look for, and there'd be other body language cues to pick up...such as enlongating her neck and body...pinning eyes (this is tricky...it could be excitement or fear and/or anger. I s the any vocalization going on while everything else is going on? How about body positioning...is she cowering while she's doing the previously mentioned things? ;):yes3:

My guess is that she's in a good mood when she displays for you...

Papillon66

Moving in
Real Name
Rose Sciberras
Thank you cassiesdad. There are times when she lowers her her neck and body and pins her eyes while slightly flaring her wings. I can tell that is when she is angry with me for disturbing her or something and she's ready to lunge at me for being a niusance. ;) But when she does what I described in my original post she does not lower her body or pin her eyes, which is why I was a little puzzled by what she meant. There is no vocalization at this time even if she tends to be very vocal at other times. She doesn't talk but she does make very distinct sounds and whistles quite nicely. I'd love to play more with her but she is the bitey sort so I bring her to my desk and let her do her own thing or talk to ver from a foot away. I understand birds are all different and can't be expected to do what we may wish them to do just to please us. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Make sure you encourage a lot of flock activities like puzzles, foraging and some training. You want to keep her in the friend zone :)

I disagree with the wing clip in this video, but maybe a video watching two interact with each other will help you understand some of her body language.