• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it mean? (Newbie alert!)

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Hello! I’m new here and I’m new to birds too! I recently adopted an English Budgie and it’s been going well I think. This was not a tame bird but he is a young one at about 4 months old now. I got him exactly 1 week ago today! Oh! I just realized that! But here’s my questions; He will fairly reliably step up and perch on my finger, but he won’t face towards me! He turns his back and will turn his head to see me. I can get him out of the cage with consistent, slow, millet aided movements. But again - he won’t face towards me! Is this normal for a young, untamed bird? Am I perhaps moving too fast? I’m using rewards (millet) that he loves and doesn’t have free access to. I’m not holding him in place or grabbing him up. He will fly away at first but then will step up after some coaxing. But always facing away! Whats a girl to do? lol
Ps; thank you for any assistance! And for the add!

Andrea
(Hipcricket) 5564DB52-2A7F-430D-85FB-16976428412B.jpeg

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
Hello! I’m new here and I’m new to birds too! I recently adopted an English Budgie and it’s been going well I think. This was not a tame bird but he is a young one at about 4 months old now. I got him exactly 1 week ago today! Oh! I just realized that! But here’s my questions; He will fairly reliably step up and perch on my finger, but he won’t face towards me! He turns his back and will turn his head to see me. I can get him out of the cage with consistent, slow, millet aided movements. But again - he won’t face towards me! Is this normal for a young, untamed bird? Am I perhaps moving too fast? I’m using rewards (millet) that he loves and doesn’t have free access to. I’m not holding him in place or grabbing him up. He will fly away at first but then will step up after some coaxing. But always facing away! Whats a girl to do? lol
Ps; thank you for any assistance! And for the add!

Andrea
(Hipcricket) View attachment 375327
Its normal, he's just a bit shy. You are already at a great position for 1 week. It took me 4 months to train my first budgie!!! Good luck with getting him trained better and as you know millet helps ;)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Yep it's totally normal. By facing away from you he's simply keeping the option to fly away open. This will change as he grows to trust you more.

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Its normal, he's just a bit shy. You are already at a great position for 1 week. It took me 4 months to train my first budgie!!! Good luck with getting him trained better and as you know millet helps ;)
Thanks! I’ve had to back up a bit though. I think I was asking too much too fast. He’s going through a momentary “I don’t wanna” and I’m not wanting to break trust by forcing the issue? Idk if that’s the correct response? But he’s not wanting to come out of the cage last couple days. I’ve never grasped him and I kinda don’t want to? It’s hard though because I don’t really know what’s best in this scenario. I’m trying not to apply human thoughts to bird behavior. And at the same time, I really want to gain this birds full trust! Any advice welcomed! Do I just slow down? Or do I force the issue? I mean, do I take him out against his will? That just feels wrong somehow. But I’m so new to birds I honestly don’t know! ATM I’m just continuing to work on hand/finger perching, in cage. Moving around a little. Soon as I’m anywhere near that door though - he’s off! Not out - just off my hand.

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Thanks! I’ve had to back up a bit though. I think I was asking too much too fast. He’s going through a momentary “I don’t wanna” and I’m not wanting to break trust by forcing the issue? Idk if that’s the correct response? But he’s not wanting to come out of the cage last couple days. I’ve never grasped him and I kinda don’t want to? It’s hard though because I don’t really know what’s best in this scenario. I’m trying not to apply human thoughts to bird behavior. And at the same time, I really want to gain this birds full trust! Any advice welcomed! Do I just slow down? Or do I force the issue? I mean, do I take him out against his will? That just feels wrong somehow. But I’m so new to birds I honestly don’t know! ATM I’m just continuing to work on hand/finger perching, in cage. Moving around a little. Soon as I’m anywhere near that door though - he’s off! Not out - just off my hand.
Ps. He did allow me to gently rub his cheeks! Even puffed up a bit. But only IN the cage.

GoDucks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jamie
Ps. He did allow me to gently rub his cheeks! Even puffed up a bit. But only IN the cage.

Hi and welcome to the site!

No, don't force him. Nothing is ever gained by forcing a living creature to do something he/she is not ready to do. I have always felt whether it is a feral kitten, timid dog, or a frighten bird it is always better to let them come to you. He took a few steps forward and now he is taking a few back, that is all. Keep working with him, talking to him gently and often and offering treats. Never stare at him because he is a prey animal and staring is what predators do.

By the way, he is beautiful.

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
Hi and welcome to the site!

No, don't force him. Nothing is ever gained by forcing a living creature to do something he/she is not ready to do. I have always felt whether it is a feral kitten, timid dog, or a frighten bird it is always better to let them come to you. He took a few steps forward and now he is taking a few back, that is all. Keep working with him, talking to him gently and often and offering treats. Never stare at him because he is a prey animal and staring is what predators do.

By the way, he is beautiful.
Thanks, that’s pretty much what my gut says too.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
He is a cutie. And your gut instincts are correct.

Hipcricket

Strolling the yard
So, I slowed down a bit. Babalooey Blue is still quite a chill little bird I think, but he’s coming out now more and more. Started playing with toys and will come out of the cage on his own. I can coax him on my hand and have managed the odd cuddle, softly ruffling his cheek feathers or stroking top of head.(crown? Crest? Idk!)lol But it’s more on his speed than mine. I am smitten! Fully. He has all these pin feathers coming now and really looks like a punk rocker! B7EFDDC0-89BA-43B7-8271-869338B6EB8E.jpeg

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I love the little pinnie head! You're doing amazing!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful pics!

Take your time, sometimes like human kids they regress... Your fid will make a turn around again.

Treats help greatly in the beginning! Some birds don't go for food oriented treats, when they don't, strong praise is considered the "Treat"

Reward to good & try to ignore the bad. Huge mantra around here.

Welcome to AA!

:hug8:Rain & Buddy :mrha: