• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it eat?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
We found a weird museum in Kenilworth. It had a sign and I forget the time, but it was only open like for two hours on a Tuesday...something weird like that. Unless you called ahead with 10+ people. Not sure what was in the Museum. And speaking of weird museums, when my partner and I were visiting South Carolina in the US we went to a bizarre museum that was all about the heros of the confederacy. It was an experience to say the least.

Someday I want to visit the Witch museum in Iceland, they have pants made out of human skin there! freaking weird.
Oh? I have not heard of that! Do they know where the skin came from? I have heard of a fair few different items made from human skin but I do not believe any of them are for show- I could be incorrect about them not being on display anywhere but I am pretty sure they are not.

We had two funny little random museums (the owners called them museums but I am not completely sure they really met the qualifications lol) in the last town I lived in, I am not even sure they are listed as actual museums but they certainly had some odd stuff on display.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Cockroaches aren't hard to find around my area. They can even be spotted running along the footpaths at night. They are HUGE. I think the climate suits them here.
QLD roaches are famous! The ones in Mount Isa used to steal my cigarettes and take off with them omg they were massive :eek: Plugs in sink drains at all times, loo lid down!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh? I have not heard of that! Do they know where the skin came from? I have heard of a fair few different items made from human skin but I do not believe any of them are for show- I could be incorrect about them not being on display anywhere but I am pretty sure they are not.

We had two funny little random museums (the owners called them museums but I am not completely sure they really met the qualifications lol) in the last town I lived in, I am not even sure they are listed as actual museums but they certainly had some odd stuff on display.
Look at your own risk. They are replica but still freaky as hell!

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Honestly, living in Switzerland where our bugs are generally teeny weeny and harmless this whole thread has me :wtf::wtf::wtf:

I'm an absolute wimp around bugs. There has been several occasions where I've been trapped in a room cos I don't wanna face the gross insect lurking outside it :rofl:

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
If I saw that thing scuttling along the ground, it would be crushed under my boot right away.

Especially after hearing about what it eats.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Still nothing to me is as bad as having the eastern brown around. A neighbor got bit while I was there but they got him to hospital & he was ok.

Its big, lightning fast & aggressive while packing poison that ranks it in the top 10 deadly...some say #2.

Not sure about the Roos but if they become used to people I think that's when there is the most danger.
The ones on the farm stay for the most part way out in the field. I guess if you went into there territory & got within a few feet of them then they could get territorial but that never happened in my experience.

Dad kept/allowed one to live in the house lawn area & I did see it one time when I visited. We could not get near it as it would run away.

Not heard of goannas attacking a person but Mom would worry about my dad getting bit with the tall grass if he walked near one.

Some large cockroaches fly. Living in NYC I did have to deal with some roaches as they were just in apartments. A few times I even had one of those huge water bug ones in my apartment. Its seriously huge & scary & I guess I tore my bedroom part til I got it.

Went into the boiler room of the building & it was dark. You had to walk a bit to get to the light pull & I could hear the crunching flapping wrestling on the bugs crawling on the ceiling. I gave up that quest for whatever I was looking for & ran out of there like lightning,

:bvryafd::rnfrt:

Nnbal

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I will admit that there are 2 pest things in the garden that I honestly struggle to say the name of and god help you if you show me one for real or even a picture of them- they literally make me unreasonably panicked and totally frantic to get away and pretend they do not exist, just the thought of them has me actually gagging and panicking. If I see them and they are large enough I have been known to actually call others for help, even at stupid hours- once I rang, woke and made a friend come over well after midnight (I had just got home from the bar I worked at closing) to remove a gross thing that was between me and my front door. I know they cant hurt me but they're just so filthy and revolting that I panic at the thought of them.
Cockroaches are like field mice to me, they are dirty gross and only exist to see how crazy they can make people like me.... they do not ever belong in my house and if one happens to make its way in then my whole house is turned inside out to find and kill them and ensure they have no where to hide or come in anymore, traps and baits (for roaches) set all over the place just incase I missed a spot. I do not do well around certain bugs but the things many people are afraid of (spiders, snakes, bats etc) do not bother me- my issue is with gooey or slimy things, caterpillars are only gross if they get too near me but other wise they are fascinating- I am afraid of touching them and feeling how gooey they are lol.
I hope you don't have to touch them. I'm sure you're much, much better and stronger than me at this.:)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Lol I am not bothered by that sort of thing at all, I will have a good nosey at them in a bit. I have seen pictures and read true crime stories of a few different things made of human skin.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Not common at all but goannas will eat what they decide they want to eat! We learned as rather small children to just abandon our goodies if the goannas had smelled our food and got close enough to us, they are fast and their tail hurts terribly if you are whipped with it and they are quite intimidating at times- just like other animals they learn where the people go and picnic and they become comfortable around humans so that changes their wild behavior some what- the ones I see around here run fast to get away from people who are not even very close but the ones that lived at a swimming hole in QLD where many would picnic and tourists were often taken were so different. Here is a rather shocking newspaper article about an extreme rare event.... Goanna kills pet dog and savages its owners in freak attack

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

The pants are only a folklore (unless I missed something) but it is still kinda weird when you read the story, the reason for them, the planning, the making and then wearing of them- I have a hard time believing any one did this though or even thought it would work- probably one of the more random folklore tales I have heard lol There are actual items that were made from human skin by more than one person and from different places for different reasons- all of them are obviously not right to wish to make human skin objects or trinkets.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The pants are only a folklore (unless I missed something) but it is still kinda weird when you read the story, the reason for them, the planning, the making and then wearing of them- I have a hard time believing any one did this though or even thought it would work- probably one of the more random folklore tales I have heard lol There are actual items that were made from human skin by more than one person and from different places for different reasons- all of them are obviously not right to wish to make human skin objects or trinkets.
The serial killer Ed Gein made furniture from skin and other human body parts

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was just reading about Ed Gein. What a nightmare of grief that single person caused.
I read somewhere it was Ed Gein that inspired Thomas Harris to create the character Buffalo Bill in Silence of the lambs.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I read somewhere it was Ed Gein that inspired Thomas Harris to create the character Buffalo Bill in Silence of the lambs.

That makes sense. The story shares a lot of commonalities. Except one is even more fearful since it is real. Crazy!