• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What does it eat?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a friend at high school who would antagonise hers so they bit and she’d loose her voice so she could get an ok to go home early lol. There’s also been a few kids in the last town I lived in who had them as pets who all said the actual bites weren’t bad at all. I guess it could depend on pain tolerance, size of spider and amount of venom?
Woah that's got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard to get outta school!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Woah that's got to be the craziest thing I've ever heard to get outta school!
Oh yeah! She was definitely a weird and amusing unique kinda girl! :laugh:

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh yeah! She was definitely a weird and amusing unique kinda girl! :laugh:
Sounds like that's some next level desperation to ditch class.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I killed one of those centipedes in the bathroom in Moms house. I don't think the one posted or the one I saw was the giant variety but no one wants them crawling around.

Generally wild roos will not come near you. If they see you even from half a mile they will stand still & then hop away to safety.
Sure if you get close enough to hug one for some reason you could get a belly full of holes.

Worst for me & my parents was the eastern brown snake. They can be very aggressive & if they think they are cornered or in danger they will charge & attack. The bite is very deadly & you better get anti venom within a half hour or you would likely die.
That's not an easy feet when you are 30 minutes from the hospital & perhaps alone without transportation.

Moms cat was mutilated & could not be saved by some feline or rodent with huge buck teeth. I don't know what it is but it ate half of the cats face. It roams wild. We used to have guaranas & they would steal a cat too...not exactly the thing you would want in your yard.

Last the thing that spooked me was this thing that hissed in the grass. Moms yard would be maybe 2 feet in grass & I would have to go out to get wood or just walk around & would hear it. Not sure what it was but I always retreated from the area I was approaching.
Bug or snake I don't know but was not about to find out.

Once a spider ran under the china cabinet in the kitchen. Tried to get it but could not. Just a normal once inch brown but I have no way of knowing if it was venomous.

I like spiders & they are good. I leave them for the most part unless they are in the bedroom or deadly. Hard to tell as them all look scary but the black with red is a clear stay away from me. Wolf spiders are big & ugly but pretty harmless. Mom did not like the huntsman but she could not see well so spiders scared her.

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wait you actually had a conversation with him ? Did you talk about parrots and he had some not great things to say? That always surprised me that he didn't like parrots especially Cockatoos but I think I recall that he was badly bitten by a Too?
Not so much an actual conversation, we had to closely pass each other in a small fenced in alcove type area at an enclosure that had too many people grouped there (trying to spot what was in the enclosure) to be able to freely move about like he wanted to, he kinda bit everyone’s heads off for being where he wanted to go. He was full of himself and very rude and his main offsider/helper looked very embarrassed and stressed by how dismissive, pushy and rude he was to paying visitors to the zoo (which was the most sad and underwhelming animal facility I’d ever seen at that point lol) while he was dragging staff members about on the verge of tears trying to decide where a huge cardboard cutout of himself should be placed, all while he berated the staff for where it had been previously placed. He really didn’t make a good impression on anyone that saw that and even my (at the time) three and four year old children gobbed off about that rude nasty man pushing past everyone :roflmao:

That was the only animal place in QLD that my kids never wanted to go back to- the aquarium was their absolute favourite and they treated the animals with respect not like a circus sideshow act.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not so much an actual conversation, we had to closely pass each other in a small fenced in alcove type area at an enclosure that had too many people grouped there (trying to spot what was in the enclosure) to be able to freely move about like he wanted to, he kinda bit everyone’s heads off for being where he wanted to go. He was full of himself and very rude and his main offsider/helper looked very embarrassed and stressed by how dismissive, pushy and rude he was to paying visitors to the zoo (which was the most sad and underwhelming animal facility I’d ever seen at that point lol) while he was dragging staff members about on the verge of tears trying to decide where a huge cardboard cutout of himself should be placed, all while he berated the staff for where it had been previously placed. He really didn’t make a good impression on anyone that saw that and even my (at the time) three and four year old children gobbed off about that rude nasty man pushing past everyone :roflmao:

That was the only animal place in QLD that my kids never wanted to go back to- the aquarium was their absolute favourite and they treated the animals with respect not like a circus sideshow act.
Oh wow that's just um gosh I don't even have words :(.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Steve Irwin is a local hero in my area. We have a very poorly done statue that celebrates his life by Mooloolaba Beach. It is very cheesy actually, doesn't look good. I have actually looked at the drawings from Irwin's Crocoseum before, the architect I worked with was involved with that project way back when. He was even invited to the funeral which only 300 people were invited to.

The Australia Zoo is a bit of a miss in my opinion, but I was fond of Irwin's enthusiasm. Granted he did take a lot of risks and was a bit of a nutter, but warts and all, he did a lot for public awareness to crocs.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
As for Steve Erwin. He would do crazy things for the shock factor & his fame. He not only put his life in danger but his kids who were very young & had no choice. That borders on abuse.
Its like..."Watch me wrestle this croc with one arm & hold my baby in the other...stunts" :omg:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
As for Steve Erwin. He would do crazy things for the shock factor & his fame. He not only put his life in danger but his kids who were very young & had no choice. That borders on abuse.
Its like..."Watch me wrestle this croc with one arm & hold my baby in the other...stunts" :omg:

I agree with that. He was really not a family man. He was sorta fame crazed.

His family's boat is even all croc themed and sits outside of their Mooloolaba house as like a crazy fame beacon. I don't think I would have ever been friends with the guy.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I killed one of those centipedes in the bathroom. I don't think the one posted or the one I saw was the giant variety but no one wants them crawling around.

Generally wild roos will not come near you. If they see you even from half a mile they will stand still & then hop away to safety.
Sure if you get close enough to hug one for some reason you could get a belly full of holes.

Worst for me & my parents was the eastern brown snake. They can be very aggressive & if they think they are cornered or in danger they will charge & attack. The bite is very deadly & you better get anti venom within a half hour or you would likely die.
That's not an easy feet when you are 30 minutes from the hospital & perhaps alone without transportation.

Moms cat was mutilated & could not be saved by some feline or rodent with huge buck teeth. I don't know what it is but it ate half of the cats face. It roams wild. We used to have guaranas & they would steal a cat too...not exactly the thing you would want in your yard.

Last the thing that spooked me was this thing that hissed in the grass. Moms yard would be maybe 2 feet in grass & I would have to go out to get wood or just walk around & would hear it. Not sure what it was but I always retreated from the area I was approaching.
Bug or snake I don't know but was not about to find out.
Definitely not the giant centipede- I don’t live where they do.

Lol we currently have a brown snake that’s regularly visiting our back door area for some reason which has me being extra cautious as he’s shedding and they are cranky when shedding- last year we had two different ones at different times in the front yard till the silly neighbors saw them and killed them :(
They will always take off unless startled or cornered- they don’t charge you in my experience. I once was nearly bitten by a red belly black snake which my grandfather did sadly kill before it struck me- I nearly stood on it and neither of us could safely retreat, I kept that dead snake in a huge glass jar/bottle filled with metho for years. In my experience they will get away if they can and as we know we have them in the yard (country, big unused paddock behind our house) we make lots of banging stomping noises which usually moves them on from the area you’re in.
Roos- totally depends where you are as to how tolerant or accepting of people they are.
The horse riding school that I used to work at and round horses up for had many reds and greys that weren’t interested nor frightened of people at all- the largest red male would front you (while on horse back) and stand higher than me on the horse and he’d grunt a horrid sound which was basically warning me that I was in his area- I would just turn around and go a different route to find all the horses.
There’s a park near the Grampians (national park) that used to have both wild cockies and Roos that would come up to people to steal food- they’re a definite danger at times and there’s signs telling tourists not to feed them. I had a few layers of winter clothing shredded from behind by a small grey roo at an animal encounter wildlife park when I was about 10, the big reds have been known to wrestle/fight with people quite often- not unheard of at all.
Goannas although beautiful and fascinating can get quite large and also will be scary and aggressive if they want your food or feel cornered, they’re very strong and fast! My guess with the hissing in the grass would be goanna or other large lizard- snakes here will hardly ever stand their ground so to speak.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There’s a park near the Grampians (national park) that used to have both wild cockies and Roos that would come up to people to steal food- they’re a definite danger at times and there’s signs telling tourists not to feed them. I had a few layers of winter clothing shredded from behind by a small grey roo at an animal encounter wildlife park when I was about 10, the big reds have been known to wrestle/fight with people quite often- not unheard of at all.
Goannas although beautiful and fascinating can get quite large and also will be scary and aggressive if they want your food or feel cornered, they’re very strong and fast! My guess with the hissing in the grass would be goanna or other large lizard- snakes here will hardly ever stand their ground so to speak.
I have not been to Grampians park, it looks beautiful online. I need to visit VIC more. I only ever go to Melbourne, there is so much more to see.

:)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have not been to Grampians park, it looks beautiful online. I need to visit VIC more. I only ever go to Melbourne, there is so much more to see.

:)
The best part of Melbourne is seeing it in your rear view mirror is what the locals here say. Lol. I’m 3-4 hrs from Melbourne, close to NSW border. Haven’t been to Melbourne in probably 3years now. There are only a few things I miss about the big city life- mostly it boils down to good junk food and an abundance of food shopping choices haha.

There is a little zoo (possibly private) just near the Grampians (beautiful if you’re into camping) where you can pay extra to feed certain animals- we fed the meerkats because I just love them- they were climbing all over us to get mealworms.

Edit to add zoo name which I only just remembered…. Halls Gap Zoo - Grampians | Victoria's Largest Regional Zoo

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The best part of Melbourne is seeing it in your rear view mirror is what the locals here say. Lol. I’m 3-4 hrs from Melbourne, close to NSW border. Haven’t been to Melbourne in probably 3years now. There are only a few things I miss about the big city life- mostly it boils down to good junk food and an abundance of food shopping choices haha.

There is a little zoo (possibly private) just near the Grampians (beautiful if you’re into camping) where you can pay extra to feed certain animals- we fed the meerkats because I just love them- they were climbing all over us to get mealworms.

Edit to add zoo name which I only just remembered…. Halls Gap Zoo - Grampians | Victoria's Largest Regional Zoo
I'm an art and museum nerd! I love cities because museums live in them. My partner and I can be in a museum for multiple days in a row. It is my jam! :) That said I love nature too, and am keen to visit Grampians!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I'm an art and museum nerd! I love cities because museums live in them. My partner and I can be in a museum for multiple days in a row. It is my jam! :) That said I love nature too, and am keen to visit Grampians!
Time to venture out to the outback museums! There’s some really weird and wonderful things in some of the less advertised museums- some (who am I kidding? Lots of) crap too though :roflmao:
My kids used to love going to the Melbourne museum- they don’t believe me when I tell them that now though.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
I do not know what to say.:wideyed:
You are used to seeing him. I don't know what I would do if I met him. The biggest insect I've ever seen is a cockroach. And I rarely see cockroaches.
But I probably wouldn't have hesitated if I had grown up with big bugs, just like you. :tup:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Time to venture out to the outback museums! There’s some really weird and wonderful things in some of the less advertised museums- some (who am I kidding? Lots of) crap too though :roflmao:
My kids used to love going to the Melbourne museum- they don’t believe me when I tell them that now though.
We found a weird museum in Kenilworth. It had a sign and I forget the time, but it was only open like for two hours on a Tuesday...something weird like that. Unless you called ahead with 10+ people. Not sure what was in the Museum. And speaking of weird museums, when my partner and I were visiting South Carolina in the US we went to a bizarre museum that was all about the heros of the confederacy. It was an experience to say the least.

Someday I want to visit the Witch museum in Iceland, they have pants made out of human skin there! freaking weird.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
You are used to seeing him. I don't know what I would do if I met him. The biggest insect I've ever seen is a cockroach. And I rarely see cockroaches.
But I probably wouldn't have hesitated if I had grown up with big bugs, just like you. :tup:
Cockroaches aren't hard to find around my area. They can even be spotted running along the footpaths at night. They are HUGE. I think the climate suits them here.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Cockroaches aren't hard to find around my area. They can even be spotted running along the footpaths at night. They are HUGE. I think the climate suits them here.
Yes. :)
Actually, the cockroaches that I have seen are not very big. How can I explain, it's as small as the tip of your smallest finger.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Yes. :)
Actually, the cockroaches that I have seen are not very big. How can I explain, it's as small as the tip of your smallest finger.
They are very large at times here and some can fly. It is sub tropic weather, they love it. And we happen to have a lot of the ones that actually charge a human or dog when they feel threatened. They can't harm you, but when they charge it is definitely rattling.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I will admit that there are 2 pest things in the garden that I honestly struggle to say the name of and god help you if you show me one for real or even a picture of them- they literally make me unreasonably panicked and totally frantic to get away and pretend they do not exist, just the thought of them has me actually gagging and panicking. If I see them and they are large enough I have been known to actually call others for help, even at stupid hours- once I rang, woke and made a friend come over well after midnight (I had just got home from the bar I worked at closing) to remove a gross thing that was between me and my front door. I know they cant hurt me but they're just so filthy and revolting that I panic at the thought of them.
Cockroaches are like field mice to me, they are dirty gross and only exist to see how crazy they can make people like me.... they do not ever belong in my house and if one happens to make its way in then my whole house is turned inside out to find and kill them and ensure they have no where to hide or come in anymore, traps and baits (for roaches) set all over the place just incase I missed a spot. I do not do well around certain bugs but the things many people are afraid of (spiders, snakes, bats etc) do not bother me- my issue is with gooey or slimy things, caterpillars are only gross if they get too near me but other wise they are fascinating- I am afraid of touching them and feeling how gooey they are lol.