• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Does Everyone Use For Cleaning Cages and Perches etc?

Kylie1969

Meeting neighbors
Hi guys :)

I have been cleaning Loki's cage and things with just really hot water as I was not sure what is the best and safest thing to use.

I like to clean his perches, his toys, ladder and food and water containers.

Making them clean is my aim but also to disinfect them all.

What would you guys suggest?

TIA :tup:

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Some people use F10 disinfectant. This is commonly used in veterinary practices as well.

You can also use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar and water.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
For proper cleaning you’ll need a soap to actually clean so a mix of 50/50 water and white vinegar with a squirt of dish liquid will work- please note that this mixture will NOT disinfect.

For disinfecting many of us use F10SC which is strictly a disinfectant, the F10 brand also make a cleaner which if I remember correctly is F10SCXD- this will clean and disinfect.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I use Nature's Miracle Bird Cage Cleaner for cleaning, and F10 for disinfecting

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
For proper cleaning you’ll need a soap to actually clean so a mix of 50/50 water and white vinegar with a squirt of dish liquid will work- please note that this mixture will NOT disinfect.

For disinfecting many of us use F10SC which is strictly a disinfectant, the F10 brand also make a cleaner which if I remember correctly is F10SCXD- this will clean and disinfect.
I have a question, my mom has this clear, no scented disinfectant that is food grade they use in hospitables(I think). Would that be okay?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I use hot water and dish soap to clean.

I don't do a lot of disinfecting unless I think there is a particular something that needs to be killed. If you really want to disinfect as in kill a virus or bacteria you really need to check that that particular virus or bacteria will be killed by the disinfectant that you choose. You also need to consider how you or your animals will be affected by the use of the particular disinfectant that you use. For instance the disinfectant and f10 is the same as what is in Clorox wipes. This particular disinfectant makes me very jittery if I am in The room with it, use it without gloves or I'm around it for very long. This is one of the reasons I don't like to use disinfectants because of the chemicals that are involved however they are sometimes necessary. This is very good disinfectant to use on items that are plastic and things that you cannot use alcohol or bleach on.

The disinfectant that I most like to use is called stabilized chlorine dioxide.

Another thing to be aware of is how long does the disinfectant have to stay in contact with the item in order to kill germs. It could be 30 seconds or it could be 10 minutes so you have to figure that and if you're really trying to kill germs. F10 or Clorox wipes is probably a very good bet just for general disinfectants because it is quick and can be used how many surfaces.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a question, my mom has this clear, no scented disinfectant that is food grade they use in hospitables(I think). Would that be okay?
I have no idea sorry. I don’t even know what disinfectant it might be.
Maybe posting a question/thread about it (including the name or a link to the product) might get you some information.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I have no idea sorry. I don’t even know what disinfectant it might be.
Maybe posting a question/thread about it (including the name or a link to the product) might get you some information.
Okay, thanks! I'll definitely do that.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use a commercial steamer