• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do your long-lived cockatiels eat?

Carina.317

Sitting on the front steps
General literature suggests cockatiels live for 25 years if well taken care of, and up to 30 years (and beyond) if very well taken care of. Diet is known to play a crucial role in maintaining the health of birds, so my question is, how old is your cockatiel and what do they typically eat in a normal day?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a 34 and a 24 year old cockatiel. I think genetics, mutation and gender also play a big part. Every senior tiel that I have heard of, including mine, are males and either normal greys or pieds. Those mutations just seem to be hardier from what I have observed. And males I think because egg laying takes its toll on females. Just my observations, not based on any real studies or anything like that.

I am not the original owner of either bird. So I can't say what they ate previously. Since cockatiels are granivores, I believe they need seeds/grains in their diet. I was taught that by a bunch of veteran cockatiel owners from a cockatiel forum I used to belong to. I know that's contrary to what is said about a lot of other species. So my tiels get a combination of seeds, senior nutriberries, fresh vegetables and freeze dried vegetables every day. Periodically Higgins Worldly Cuisine and once in awhile a little bit of nuts as a treat.

My 34 year old's original owner gave him petamine. No idea why because it's a breeding supplement. And he's a boy. But since he had been on it for 29ish years I wasn't going to stop. So he also gets that and I give him Healthy Bird which is an anti-inflammatory supplement.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
General literature suggests cockatiels live for 25 years if well taken care of, and up to 30 years (and beyond) if very well taken care of. Diet is known to play a crucial role in maintaining the health of birds, so my question is, how old is your cockatiel and what do they typically eat in a normal day?
I know a girl that has a cockatiel thats 27 years old. Its been fed nothing but seed its entire life.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I know a girl that has a cockatiel thats 27 years old. Its been fed nothing but seed its entire life.
Is she a normal grey or a pied? It's great that she's that old.

Rebel

I have a 34 and a 24 year old cockatiel. I think genetics, mutation and gender also play a big part. Every senior tiel that I have heard of, including mine, are males and either normal greys or pieds. Those mutations just seem to be hardier from what I have observed. And males I think because egg laying takes its toll on females. Just my observations, not based on any real studies or anything like that.

I am not the original owner of either bird. So I can't say what they ate previously. Since cockatiels are granivores, I believe they need seeds/grains in their diet. I was taught that by a bunch of veteran cockatiel owners from a cockatiel forum I used to belong to. I know that's contrary to what is said about a lot of other species. So my tiels get a combination of seeds, senior nutriberries, fresh vegetables and freeze dried vegetables every day. Periodically Higgins Worldly Cuisine and once in awhile a little bit of nuts as a treat.

My 34 year old's original owner gave him petamine. No idea why because it's a breeding supplement. And he's a boy. But since he had been on it for 29ish years I wasn't going to stop. So he also gets that and I give him Healthy Bird which is an anti-inflammatory supplement.
My boy bird did 95% of the baby bird feeding.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Rebel

Crunchy. But you can do either.
I looked for freeze dried mixed vegetables.All of them have onions in it. Do you pick the onions out? Its my understanding that birds ( cockatiels anyhow) shouldn’t eat onions.

Newtielmom

Moving in
Real Name
Lisa

Thank you so much for this information! Could you let me know what kind of nuts you give?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I looked for freeze dried mixed vegetables.All of them have onions in it. Do you pick the onions out? Its my understanding that birds ( cockatiels anyhow) shouldn’t eat onions.
I buy avian specific freeze dried. Avian Organics, Christine's Chop Shop are a couple of places which sell it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you so much for this information! Could you let me know what kind of nuts you give?
Almond slivers or a little bit of cashew. Unsalted of course.

Rebel

I buy avian specific freeze dried. Avian Organics, Christine's Chop Shop are a couple of places which sell it.
Thanks for the websites. Avian Organics has some interesting products.Ill be ordering soon.