• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you use as a target stick?

quaker0320

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jeffrey
Hello guys, I wanted to start Clicker training and I wanted to get the supplies ready. I was wondering what you guys use as the target stick. I know some people use chopsticks but I don't really trust them. Also anybody know where to get a perch stand?? Thanks.

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I use chopsticks. Why do you not trust them?

quaker0320

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
jeffrey
I don't trust them cause I'm not sure what they are made of. I know it's wood but what kind of wood?? :D

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I'm pretty sure they are pine but will check

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
When I googled, they said disposable ones are usually pine or aspen and both are safe :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
You could use a bamboo skewer, an empty pen case, an acrylic stick (apparently can find some at craft stores), a crochet hook, or anything else you want! Barbara Heidenreich has a clicker/target all in one, too.

Parrot DVDS | Parrot Books | Parrot Training

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
I have used all sorts of random stuff for my birds. I have used chopsticks, kabob skewers, a screw driver, my finger, a laser pointer, pens galore...I have even used a ball once. It was just kind of there and I was curious to see if I could get my birds to target to the ball. It worked too! I don't have a stand. I use either the floor, the back of the couch, a chair back, or whatever is looking good to me at the time. You basically want the space you pick to be boring. No food, no toys, nothing fun other than you so they focus well. It depends on the bird though. I say no distractions until the bird really knows the behavior you want them and has no problems doing it on command.

MaxieTheBirdie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kevin Dolby
I Personally Use A Millet Stick!
So.
You can use basically anything as long as it isn't toxic!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I use a brand new disposable chop stick. I do not think it really matters what kind of stick you use as you are not supposed to let the bird grab it and chew it anyway. The chopsticks have to be food grade wood for humans so the only thing that would make me uncomfortable about using them is if they were previously used ones as I do not believe you can properly sanitize them. I get them from the Chinese take away shops, I just ask if I can have a few of them whenever I buy food from them. I also use plastic chopsticks when I have no disposable ones left.