• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you think about this?

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
I recently made a doc about parrot species, with rankings from 1-10, 1 being the lowest and 10 being HECK YEAH I AM!
I would love people to add their own personal experiences ;)
I know parrots have their own unique personalities, but this is just general information.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think average grams would be a better indicator of size then length. My Jardine's and Green cheek may have the same beak to tail length, but she was 54g and he's about 215g... Very big difference!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think average grams would be a better indicator of size then length. My Jardine's and Green cheek may have the same beak to tail length, but she was 54g and he's about 215g... Very big difference!
I think that's a good suggestion. Like with cockatiels, so much of that length is because of their tail. So saying they're 12 inches makes them seem "big" when they're not. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Will you have a professional (such as someone with a CBPC certificate ore a veterinarian) review it Too often these lists are put together by people who have only opinions and no education, experience or practical knowledge. That can be dangerous to a lot of birds. I've had parrots for 24 years now and have studied extensively - I would not dream of contributing my unprofessionalism to such an endeavor.

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
Will you have a professional (such as someone with a CBPC certificate ore a veterinarian) review it Too often these lists are put together by people who have only opinions and no education, experience or practical knowledge. That can be dangerous to a lot of birds. I've had parrots for 24 years now and have studied extensively - I would not dream of contributing my unprofessionalism to such an endeavor.
Ofcourse! Thank you for suggesting that, this is just based off of what I have learned throughout my lifetime, I hope that no one will take this document seriously. This was made just for fun :laugh: I wanted to see what other people have experienced with these birds :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My budgies aren't nippy. Pistachio & Marzipan insist that you change the budgie nippiness rating. Neither has ever injured me & I'm as green as they come.

If they have a reputation for nippiness, I bet it's because people try to impose their will on the tiny, little birds. Or give them to young kids, who aren't usually known for patience or impulse control.

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
My budgies aren't nippy. Pistachio & Marzipan insist that you change the budgie nippiness rating. Neither has ever injured me & I'm as green as they come.

If they have a reputation for nippiness, I bet it's because people try to impose their will on the tiny, little birds. Or give them to young kids, who aren't usually known for patience or impulse control.
Thank you! I'll change that!

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think trying to score an entire species out of 10 on these various criteria is pretty misleading. Anyone with multiple members of a species will be able to tell you that individuals are very different, and we can speak about species only in very general terms.

Animals like dogs and horses have been selectively bred for particular traits, including temperament, independence and playfulness, for hundreds of thousands of years; it means that we can predict that, for example, a border collie from working lines will be extremely smart and want to work with people whereas an Anatolian shepherd is likely to be intelligent and very independent. Parrots haven't been selectively bred for temperament or other traits. I really think this document is misleading and potentially harmful, particularly for people who don't have experience and are trying to choose a species.

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
I think trying to score an entire species out of 10 on these various criteria is pretty misleading. Anyone with multiple members of a species will be able to tell you that individuals are very different, and we can speak about species only in very general terms.

Animals like dogs and horses have been selectively bred for particular traits, including temperament, independence and playfulness, for hundreds of thousands of years; it means that we can predict that, for example, a border collie from working lines will be extremely smart and want to work with people whereas an Anatolian shepherd is likely to be intelligent and very independent. Parrots haven't been selectively bred for temperament or other traits. I really think this document is misleading and potentially harmful, particularly for people who don't have experience and are trying to choose a species.
Ofcourse! This is just what I have experienced :)

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
Ofcourse! This is just what I have experienced :)
I don't want anyone to think that this is meant to be taken seriously. I just made this for fun! I can take this down if it is not appreciated here :)

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's not a matter of appreciation, but of accuracy. If you like making such things, how about an informational pamphlet on your bird species? You could have sections on food, toys, habitat in the wild, etc. Or how to make an enriched environment using different toys, etc. Usually the more narrow the focus of such things, the more accurate they are. :)

Reactions: tka

Walnut001

Meeting neighbors
It's not a matter of appreciation, but of accuracy. If you like making such things, how about an informational pamphlet on your bird species? You could have sections on food, toys, habitat in the wild, etc. Or how to make an enriched environment using different toys, etc. Usually the more narrow the focus of such things, the more accurate they are. :)
Ah, I see. I will remove my document right now, thank you for the insight :)