• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you feed? //Recipe Ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I'm looking to feed some more fresh stuff for my guys, money doesn't really matter, as long as it's not SUPER expensive.

I'm just wondering what everyone is feeding. I have some recipe that I need to dig out too.

I'm going to be adding all suggestions to my recipe book.

I have a grey, quaker, and my dad has a red-belly.

I'm just mostly asking what to LOOK out for, what NEEDS to be fed, ect. --That is if I were to make it up for myself. Basically dummy's guide to feeding parrots. I KNOW how to feed them, was just curious.

Thanks SOOOOO much guys. :dance4::dance4:

AND I was wondering what's so great about the pellets? Could you technically cut those out? --I need them for trips, but w/out that.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I feed my birds pellets harrisons nuts and nutriberries for treats and birdie bread with organic grains fruit and veggies from cornbread recipe with eggs as a binder and blended veggies for the liquid I do not have a recipe just what I have at any given time I am sorry if I can not be of further help

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Erica I feed Volkman bean mix and Avian Naturals Tails up Power mash, fruits, veggies, some amount of avicakes and nutriberries. I'm always looking for new cookig mixes my birds will eat!:D

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Thanks guys. So I've printed out a few things, and I think I have the basics.

Could anyone point me to pellets? I feed zupreem because I heard it was the best, now I'm hearing about tops, which i've never heard about. And now ppl are saying Harrisons, or purely nutriberries is the best. What do you think? I'm going to be feeding more fresh stuff. So I'm wondering what pellets are for really? Are there vitamins they need in it?

Saroj- Do you just mix it up all the time? Nothing strict? Looks like I can just mix up whatever (besides the bad stuff)
Could you possibly send me your favorite food links (where you're buying) if you don't mind :p

birdman78

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
John
I usually don't make anything special for my guys. I just make them a plate of what ever I am having for my current meals.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Harrisons, Roudybush, butternut squash, sweet potato dark green vegetables, mango, sprouts, nuts, seeds, fruits, and of course Mashie!!:D

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
nutriberries is meant for a treat only, not the main part of the birds diet. I know the package says that but No it's not intended to be their main source of food

Main source of food in my house is Zupreem Fruit Blend pellets , Mixed with Natural for the tiels (they're the only ones who like both but will not eat just plain natural )

We also make our own bird bred

I use a corn bred mix from the grocery store that doesn't have LARD in the ingredients - Ive been using the Betty Crocker one (its in a bag not a box) if any call for milk and or butter I leave those out completely

I normally use 100% pure apple Juice in place of the Milk or water but if i don't have it than I use water

then we cook a cup of brown rice and 1/2 a cup of white rice add that to the batter, we cook thoroughly beans ( I use ham beans its the 15 bean soup one I don't use any season packet that come in some)than we thoroughly cook the noodles, We use whole wheat spiral multi colored ones - we use a store brand and we hard boil an egg or 2 - this depends on how many packages of corn bred mix we use because they call for an Egg and we don't want to over do it with the eggs
then I grind the egg(s) (shell and all)up in my Magic bullet and put that into the mix with the Rice, Beans, Noodles mixed well, and mixed veggies (we use Frozen) then we add their fruit blend pellets and seeds to the mix and stir it all up and put it in muffin pans and bake according to the directions on the box - and as normal use a tooth pick to check if they're done

I don't think i left anything out :)

We've tried it before with all fruit, instead of the beans/rice/veggies but they were not fond of that and they were very mad at us, So we went back to the way they like it

they also get leafy greens like Kale, Chard, Mustard Greens,Dark Green lettuce, Spinach on occasion, and Fresh veggies when Available when not they get thawed Frozen NEVER Canned.

and every now and then , I'll cook them some Whole wheat noodles and boil an egg or 2 and when the eggs are done I toss them (shells and all) into the Magic Bullet and then spoon it out on the noodles and mix it all up

They also get Spray Millet a few times a week (around 3 a month or so) nutri berries/avi cakes/ whole nuts as treats once in a while

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Leafy greens? You just cut them up and serve them, like if you were to eat them.

Status
Not open for further replies.