• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you do when your bird chooses someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Has anyone ever had a situation where one of your pets have chosen another person, in another family?
What did you do?

Just curious.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Lucky for me I am Squeeky's chosen person. My Mom is his number 2 person, Tony number 3, and Jp Tony's brother/ my niece and nephew/ and my Dad are number 4. Even in the past I was usually either the chosen one or they didn't have a preference and liked everyone.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
just go with the flow...just as in humans, you cannot control who they like

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
All the birds seem to prefer me, especially the macaws! But, whenI was much younger, my family had a Moluccan too, who was *supposed* to be MY baby. But She decided she liked my sister much better! I was devastated at first, but we just worked around it. I did things with her when my sister was out and handed her over once her favored human was home. It worked out okay.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
My GCC Angel has chosen my mom whom I don't live with so she only sees her sometimes. She would love to go home with my mom though!
Here is a video of them together, keep in mind she NEVER acts like this with me, she will sit on my shoulder or come to me when I have food but that is about it. But as soon as my mom walks into the house she is glued to her the entire time! Makes me sad sometimes but what can I do? i still love her and accept it for what it is.

YouTube - Angel loving on my mom

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
My senegal chose my SO about a year and a half ago. He bit the crap out of me, and would not see me for a whole year :( I was not devastated, but it was very upsetting. I literally would approach him daily to see if he wanted to come see me, it took a WHOLE year for him to step up for me again. I cried when he finally let me hold him. He has been my bird since he was 2, and turned 12 at the time, is 14 now.

I think it was because my SO had just recently come into my life, and Peanut was really confused about it, and liked him, but didn't get to see him all the time. But then we moved in together, and he really got attached, and it got to that point ^^^. He is MUCH better now, steps up for both of us, will be passed around back and forth with no problems.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Amber (dog) in my sig was supposed to be my family's second dog, but even though I was a college kid and only home for breaks, she still became MY dog pretty quickly. In the end, my family got a third dog and told me to take her with me once I had pet-friendly housing. The third dog worked out much better as a family-as-a-whole dog. :) Not a bird, obviously, but the same would apply for any pets- whatever/whomever made the animal happiest, assuming the chosen person was willing and able, would get/take/care for said animal. Part of why Jasper came to me early (I was always going to inherit him) is that he got on so well with me and was so happy when I was around. That's kinda how our situation works, even with humans though. It's not unusual for my family to adopt people in or have members move/travel/live with or near different parts of the family as situations and personalities change.

brazilianangel

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sue
My sun conure chose my mom and it took me over 3 years to get him to like me better. I made sure to spend more time with him than she did and basically give him his treats more often too. I didn't think it would work but a few months ago he has started preferring me over my mom so i guess it worked^^

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My Indian Ringneck, Keiba, had chosen my mum at one stage, he wanted absolutely nothing to do with me (he lunged at me, bit me a few times, screamed at me, you name it) and it hurt because I finished raising him and we had a really close bond. I done everything I could to get my bond back with him, and it worked, I eventually did. It has been probably nearly a year now and we are even closer then we were before, and I hope it stays that way, he strongly dislikes my mum and my brothers, he screams if they go near him, but since I am the only one that really interacts with him, I think it will stay as is.

Toadstinytails

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Betsy
I actually got Woody (YNA) for this exact reason! He used to belong to my friend's mom, and coming from an abusive past, he was very opinionated about who he liked. Him and I just seemed to click, and after 12 years of having him, they asked me one day if I would be willing to take him, as his behaviors were getting to be too much for them to deal with. Of course I said yes and we lived happily together for about 6 months, then he decided that my mom was his true love. :huh: We've had Woody for about 5 years now, and there are no indicators that his love will be changing anytime soon. Oh well, they're happy, what's a girl to do? :rolleyes:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I rescued Baby Benny when his owner was going to 'let him go wild'. To repay my altruistic gesture, Benny bit me and hated me and screamed at me. :( But he loves my best friend Kim. Guess who he lives with... Then there is my Diva, who lost her beak when she was 2 weeks old to a lovebird. I hand fed her for 18 months to keep her alive. We were inseparable. Then she got sick and I had to give her medicine for a month and during that month she learned to distrust me. You can see she wants to sit on me, wants me to pet her, but she cannot trust me. :( She loves Kim, however, so that is who she lives with. Over the five years she has been at Kim's she is slowly learning to trust me again and has gotten to the point where she will now let me scritch her head and neck for a few minutes before flying off.:o:

Yeah, it really hurt when Diva decided she preferred Kim over me. But I am just glad she has someone she can love.:heart:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I have never had this happen to me specifically, but I have to admit....Penny REALLY has a liking for my husband. If he were a bird person, she'd be gone! LOL While he entertains her, he's not really passionate about birds, so he kind of prevents a really serious bond, LOL If it did happen, I wouldnt be sad...just happy that she's happy :)

mrstweet

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
My lovebird, who was my first at 13, was supposed to be "my" bird. She wound up bonding to my mom. I got another bird, Twinkie, and forbade my mom from handling her at all.

Skittles eventually bonded back to me, but when my mom comes in the house she snuggles and loves her, too. I get quite jealous. :(

Joey

Hit the Road
never really happened to me, but i feel at ease sometimes when my birds socialize with other people (mainly family and friends).

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
My tiel does not like my boyfriend much, yesterday he was screaming tons just because he was in the room with him, and then when he went to pick him up to comfort him he just went crazy and bit him a lot! Then I walked over and I snuggled him straight away haha.

Axel my Indian eagle owl used to hate just about everybody, but she preferred my boyfriend over anybody else funnily enough, she didn't bite him AS hard haha

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
Im their chosen person and my mom is their second and they don't like my dad except for Chiquita.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
My lovebird, who was my first at 13, was supposed to be "my" bird. She wound up bonding to my mom. I got another bird, Twinkie, and forbade my mom from handling her at all.

Skittles eventually bonded back to me, but when my mom comes in the house she snuggles and loves her, too. I get quite jealous. :(
I actually feel quite the opposite about situations like this. In the event of an emergency that you or your husband couldn't care for you birds, you know Skittles would have a great home with your mom, but what about the rest of them?

Thats why I know my RB would be ok in any home, since I've tried my hardest to socialize her, where as, my senegal would be a huge problem since he will only go to myself or my SO peacefully. Just thinking about it on different terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.