• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you all think - Male or Female?

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
My friend has always thought this one is a male (approx. 1 1/2 years old) ... do you all agree?

YOKI ONE AND A HALF YEARS.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I agree - male. The rings around the nostrils have faint colouring (like mother of pearl) rather than being white. And I'll stick with that decision til the day he lays an egg ;)

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Male.
If/when he goes into breeding mode, his cere will likely get that nice dark blue we are used to seeing.

people always seem to forget that males have hormones too, and can go in and out season like females do.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
hahahaha...you have to watch out for those male egg-layers. Now see, I was going to say female...sigh...I'm never gonna get this right.:blink:
Let's go and hide together Lori.. I so totally agree with you :confused:

Melli

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Melli
My guess would have been male... but I guess everybody to be male! I'm with Lori ... I'll never get it right!!!:laugh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I dunno.... but she looks female to me....

I would expect that at 1 1/2 years old that if male, her cere would be a solid color by now... but it's not... so I'd say female.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I dunno.... but she looks female to me....

I would expect that at 1 1/2 years old that if male, her cere would be a solid color by now... but it's not... so I'd say female.
but if it was a hen the cere would of been brown by now and the nails look over grown

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thats a tough one as I thought female first too but think the blue is too blue...Some mutations have different ceres. Guess its possible for a female to not turn tan yet too. There's always a chance a bird does not fit the so called norm...

I'm going to lean on male as the lower cheek spots are very dilute & that darker blue on the cere seems too dark for a female even though the nares are white bordered...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
but if it was a hen the cere would of been brown by now and the nails look over grown
If she hasn't had the hormones to turn her cere brown, then to me it would make sense...

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
Judging the color of the cere being blue, I would say male.