• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do I do

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I know it’s only been two days but Indie not herself there’s no singing in a morning afternoon evening before sundown there’s no making kiss noise back to me or my daughter no playing with toys she just sat on her perch she eating as her pellets have gone down at as much of usual though she normally finishes her bowls and her foraging toys are still full from yesterday which is 100% not like her I even tied her bells back up they are normal off in seconds or I get attacked nothing I even missed having to dodge her assaults no morning slamming her bells around cage floor she come out of cage but it’s for 2/3mins to either climb to top of her cage to get seeds out of her foraging well thing then straight back into her cage back to same perch I tried moving her well to any place she just went straight back in her cage like screw you then
IMG_7117.jpeg IMG_7119.jpeg
She came for a bit of millet but again was sat there 3mins and off she went back to her cage
I tried rolling ball around for her but nothing no interest
She’s breaking my heart the bird room too quiet the energy gone it’s so sad in there I am trying to be fun and up the energy music dancing, singing remi fine dancing foraging playing doing tricks
She wouldn’t even leave room normally when I fill water bowls the all come and sit in bathroom or indie hangs of wall light watching nothing no flick calls nothing just sat there

Now I know you don’t get a bird for your bird I know I have to give her time BUT do I get her a friend ? she’s never in her life not had another lovebird straight from parents to pico she always be fine with other lovebirds and thrived when apple pie and mango were here in a lovebird flock but pico didn’t it was such a hard decision to rehome mango and apple pie if I knew what I knew how I never would have but then hindsight an amazing thing that we can’t have before hand

even my husband who it drives him nuts the singing in a morning said this morning she’s too quiet normally when he comes in room she’s straight on his shoulder singing to him but nope no stayed on her perch

I know no one’s going to have answers for me but I value all your opinions

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think we all just have to trust our instincts and our hearts when we ponder adding family members.

Opie for one I think would need another bird, even if they weren't friends.

It's also so individual to each bird and us too how we grieve and what it looks like. When I had cats, after the loss of my first cat, one wanted nothing to do with anyone for a while and the other one was desperate for a new kitty to snuggle with.

It's hard to know but whatever you decide will be the right choice.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I think we all just have to trust our instincts and our hearts when we ponder adding family members.

Opie for one I think would need another bird, even if they weren't friends.

It's also so individual to each bird and us too how we grieve and what it looks like. When I had cats, after the loss of my first cat, one wanted nothing to do with anyone for a while and the other one was desperate for a new kitty to snuggle with.

It's hard to know but whatever you decide will be the right choice.
She as remi (gcc ) but they don’t interact just ignore each other pico answered both she the called but Indie only answered pico
I don’t want another lovebird they won’t be pico at all and I am not ready not all but then I need to make a decision that’s right for her obviously if I did there’s quarantine time but would hearing a lovebird in house help her I don’t know
I just wish I can wave a magic wand make it better for her or fetch pico back

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's all just heartbreaking. I'm so sorry, Emma, and Indie too.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry you lost Pico. I didn't have to heart to reply to your other thread yet. I lost Maui a short while back too unexpectedly. You must still feel so shocked and to then have to deal with a sad bird makes things even worse. Lots of healing thoughts your way, and to Indie.

When Maui's mate Xena passed, he seemed depressed hiding under paper, not being himself and just lifeless. I think it was about 6 months before we brought Sirocco home, another fischeri lovebird. The moment I released both of them, he was preening roc in less then two hours. His bond with Sirocco was never the same, but he was so much happier and more stable. They were good friends, had there ups and downs, but for our flock it was the right choice.
In the time before we adopted Rocco Maui still had my 2 peach faced lovebirds and one budgie to talk with, he lived with them in a room without cages and I thought of them as a flock, but after Xena passed Maui isolated himself for a good while.
Maui really valued having Xena's cage around and often went in during his sad period, maybe Indie would like that option too eventually.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so sorry you lost Pico. I didn't have to heart to reply to your other thread yet. I lost Maui a short while back too unexpectedly. You must still feel so shocked and to then have to deal with a sad bird makes things even worse. Lots of healing thoughts your way, and to Indie.

When Maui's mate Xena passed, he seemed depressed hiding under paper, not being himself and just lifeless. I think it was about 6 months before we brought Sirocco home, another fischeri lovebird. The moment I released both of them, he was preening roc in less then two hours. His bond with Sirocco was never the same, but he was so much happier and more stable. They were good friends, had there ups and downs, but for our flock it was the right choice.
In the time before we adopted Rocco Maui still had my 2 peach faced lovebirds and one budgie to talk with, he lived with them in a room without cages and I thought of them as a flock, but after Xena passed Maui isolated himself for a good while.
Maui really valued having Xena's cage around and often went in during his sad period, maybe Indie would like that option too eventually.
I am so sorry for your loss too I totally understand not being able to reply but thank you so much for sharing with me

I’ve emptied pico cage and put away his toys perches I couldn’t look at them I find empty cage easier to look at than expecting him to be on his favourite perch etc
But I didn’t even think it may have helped indie

I just don’t know what to do I am at work tomorrow and Saturday too I’ve told hubby to keep an eye on her

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Very difficult to know what to do. Such hard choices to make :(

I am lucky that I have other birds. But Adelie did stop laying too for a while until one day I heard her playing football and I left her a long time caged that day. Now she is back to playing but is avoiding their bedtime perch for some reason.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Very difficult to know what to do. Such hard choices to make :(

I am lucky that I have other birds. But Adelie did stop laying too for a while until one day I heard her playing football and I left her a long time caged that day. Now she is back to playing but is avoiding their bedtime perch for some reason.
Glad she was playing sorry she avoiding her sleep perch

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so sorry for your loss too I totally understand not being able to reply but thank you so much for sharing with me

I’ve emptied pico cage and put away his toys perches I couldn’t look at them I find empty cage easier to look at than expecting him to be on his favourite perch etc
But I didn’t even think it may have helped indie

I just don’t know what to do I am at work tomorrow and Saturday too I’ve told hubby to keep an eye on her
I left everything the same for a few days and then took everything out expecpt one platform. I think Indie knows it is Pico's home still. And if you had to take everything out for your own well being that is so understandable and the right thing to have done. And maybe it would not have made a difference to her anyway, they are all so different that is is hard to know what to do. I am happy Sirocco is not very sad that Maui passed so I don't have to think about whether we will add another fischeri again right now. With Maui we started looking pretty quickly but took a long time because we tried to find the right fit.

Maybe you can video call your husband in your break to talk to Indie? Some birds seem to be indifferent to that and others seem to take comfort in it. Other then the usual things like music and such I have no idea what else you could do to help her :(

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is such a hard decision and I really can't tell you what to do, especially without knowing Indie personally. But I think if it were me, I wouldn't rush into getting a new bird. I would give her some time, make sure you're giving her lots of love and support, and just see how she does. Maybe she'll come around, or maybe she will eventually need another lovebird companion. But I don't think this needs to be decided right away.
But again, I don't know your situation well enough to say what you should do, and in the end I think you'll just have to trust your instinct.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I left everything the same for a few days and then took everything out expecpt one platform. I think Indie knows it is Pico's home still. And if you had to take everything out for your own well being that is so understandable and the right thing to have done. And maybe it would not have made a difference to her anyway, they are all so different that is is hard to know what to do. I am happy Sirocco is not very sad that Maui passed so I don't have to think about whether we will add another fischeri again right now. With Maui we started looking pretty quickly but took a long time because we tried to find the right fit.

Maybe you can video call your husband in your break to talk to Indie? Some birds seem to be indifferent to that and others seem to take comfort in it. Other then the usual things like music and such I have no idea what else you could do to help her :(
Good idea I could also come home I get an hours break but by time I get home and have to go back I only get 30/40mins in house but I think I might tomos and Saturday I normally set up their foraging toys for day then get them out when I get in about 19:20 but I might pop home tomos

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I think she will settle, they take time to process too.
Unless you want an endless route of getting love birds for each one as they loose their buddy and leave us ..I wouldn't go that route

Indie has her other family around her. And I think it's way to early to know how she is going to adjust .
Love to you all

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
This is such a hard decision and I really can't tell you what to do, especially without knowing Indie personally. But I think if it were me, I wouldn't rush into getting a new bird. I would give her some time, make sure you're giving her lots of love and support, and just see how she does. Maybe she'll come around, or maybe she will eventually need another lovebird companion. But I don't think this needs to be decided right away.
But again, I don't know your situation well enough to say what you should do, and in the end I think you'll just have to trust your instinct.
Thank you I know I need to give us all time and I know I shouldn’t get another bird to help fix indie feeling as it may totally backfire for us all
I just want my little cow bag assassin back which I never thought I would miss the sassy assassin bit of her personality but I would even make the crazy rather than the sad indie
I think pico was just such a massive character no fear and everyone just followed him such high energy and playness

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you I know I need to give us all time and I know I shouldn’t get another bird to help fix indie feeling as it may totally backfire for us all
I just want my little cow bag assassin back which I never thought I would miss the sassy assassin bit of her personality but I would even make the crazy rather than the sad indie
I think pico was just such a massive character no fear and everyone just followed him such high energy and playness
I will let that comment go since you are all grieving. (ahem). :watching:
Like I said in pm, I would give Indie time to grieve and get over the loss of Pico. Take some time and keep trying to engage her with toys, dancing, being silly. Maybe her and Remi will warm up to each other and she won't be so lonely. I had mentioned to ask @Zara what she thought, and I can see she gave you a helpful response here.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Indy is grieving now and needs some time. She may not want another bird right now. You will know in your heart if and when it is time to get another lovie for her.