• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do I do with all this extra chop?

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Made chop on my own for the first time and made way too much. I also tried blending their pellets so it would be smaller for them to chew but it was stronger than anticipated and became "pellet dust". I mixed it with the chop so it wouldn't waste.

The first portion has squash, cucumbers, cilantro, quinoa, couscous, seeds and pellet dust. The second has just quinoa, couscous, seeds and pellet dust.

Okay folks, I need ideas on how to get rid of it quick or store it so it lasts long. Would freezing work and how long would it last?

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yup freezing will work, and generally will last 2-3 months @Mizzely

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Not refreezing, once u thaw it out it’s not a good idea to refereeze, what a lot of members, myself included do is freeze them into ice cubes and thaw them out as needed or to freeze them in ziplock baggies

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, freeze it either in an ice cube tray or spread out a thin layer on a tray that you can then break into pieces and store in a ziplock bag or tupperware.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I freeze in small amounts that last a few days in the fridge and feed from that. When I feed the last portion I take another out of the freezer and put it in the fridge for the next day.

I've had chop last up to 6 months!

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I get the little "snack" size ziplocks - they are half as big as a sandwich bag. Then I portion out chop directly into the bags. They go into the freezer to freeze up, then I'll put the little frozen chop bags into a gallon sized freezer bag with the date marked so I know when I made the batch.

I can just grab out a portion the evening before I plan on using it and toss it in the fridge to thaw out.

If it thaws out too wet, I will add some grains or dry eggfood mix to soak up the excess moisture before serving.

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
Not refreezing, once u thaw it out it’s not a good idea to refereeze, what a lot of members, myself included do is freeze them into ice cubes and thaw them out as needed or to freeze them in ziplock baggies
Yep, freeze it either in an ice cube tray or spread out a thin layer on a tray that you can then break into pieces and store in a ziplock bag or tupperware.
Yeah guess who learned tragically late in life that dark greens can spark (!!) and seeds will most definitely explode (!!!) in the microwave?

The ice cube idea is inspired!

And if you're having no luck with that particular chop, this human has no problem throwing it in with some rice or even blending with some yoghurt and frozen blueberries and getting all those good vitamins myself :roflmao:

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
If it thaws out too wet, I will add some grains or dry eggfood mix to soak up the excess moisture before serving.
Does anyone else press between paper towels to remove moisture? I've been trying to present dryer veg to see if that piques the little budgies interest... I've also heard some people use the veg matter left over from a juicer, as it is very dry.