• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What did I miss?

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
Hello, I'm new to the forum. I have lovebirds and a cockatiel. I noticed one of my two green and red lovebird puffy yesterday on the perch sleeping but I noticed it was puffy trough the day Saturday and even mentioned to a family member that he seemed odd/different to me because he was all fluffy. Now today I left the birds cages covered to let them sleep and so that they would keep warm but now when we take the blanket off we found this lovebird at the bottom of the cage in the corner dead.

What I'm wondering is what happened. Can you help me figure out possible causes because I have other pets and I'm worried. Wish I could've done something but hopefully you can help.

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
We really have no way to tell. It could've been lots of things. It'd be guesswork, at best.

A necropsy, performed by a veterinarian, will be the only way for you to find out what happened.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi and welcome to AA. :greet5: I don't mean to be rude because you just lost a fid but the fact that one was fluffy for the whole day should have been a clue or indication that something wasn't right with him. I'm sorry for your loss. Theonly way to find out what was wrong with him would be to have a necropsy performed to make sure that your other two birds are/will be okay.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When you notice something is wrong/different with your bird, you have to act immediately (take your bird to the vet, preferably an avian vet). By the time the bird is ill enough to show sickness, you may have very little time left to intervene before you end up with a dead bird.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
Did you notice anything before he was puffy? Lethargic? No appetite? It's hard to say what happened.

michbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
michelle
My other cockatiel keeps laying about a dozen of eggs but she's by herself. And, my other lovebird looks not puffy and eating singing. I'm trying to observe them more. I wasn't sure that there was something wrong with him and he died. He was sleeping, I walked by the day he was puffy and open his eyes but seemed sleepy so I let him sleep but I've seen birds get puffy normal from time to time and then there's puffy as a sign. How do I differentiate?

Applebutter

Jogging around the block
My Trinket acted normal up until the morning I uncovered him for the day. I brought him in to emergency the same day, he passed the following morning at the hospital. I hadn't a clue anything was wrong, he was out the day before playing around like normal. They hide illness very well.

If this happens again, take your bird in asap and if he passes get a necropsy.