• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What counts as a nest?

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I currently have a couple of travel carriers that live in my birds' aviary. They're like regular, hard side cages, but small enough that I could move them out of the aviary on my own. I'm thinking of swapping one of them out for a soft sided carrier, something like the Excursion. [footnote1]

My idea is that they might regard it with less suspicion than the cages they have, and, also Esmerelda sometimes gets confused in one of the larger cages and can't figure out how to get out.[footnote2] That, at least, would not be an issue with this sort of cage. I'd set it up so there's food and water and a perch in there so they'd be comfortable going in.

My concern is that Esme might think this is a super-deluxe nest. That is not a direction I want her thoughts going in. I mean, I love her, and she's the best bird in the world, but I'll be happy if we can keep her off the egg-laying path as long as possible.

So, is a soft-sided carrier like that something that might be seen as a nesting area if I leave it in their space regularly?[footnote3]

[footnote1]: or possibly just go big and get a celltei that's large enough that they'd be comfortable walking into it. Like this, but without the dividers.

[footnote2]: it's a prevue flight cage, so, not exactly a maze, but let's just say that her spatial navigation skills aren't all that and a bag of chips.

[footnote3]: we are working on training, so eventually I'm hoping I can ask them to go into one of their cages just as a matter of course. But we're not there yet.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the bird. Each has a threshold and what is a nest to one bird is totally fine for another. If she is prone to nesty behavior, maybe. My Jardine's thinks anything he can climb into is a nest lol where all my other birds never had issues with stuff like that

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Thanks, that's helpful - she's got a bit of the "if I fits, I sits" about bowl-like spaces, but she doesn't seem to be otherwise interested in the work of furnishing a nest and she's completely uninterested in the cart in their room which has nooks she could refit as a nursery.

I'll give it a try. If it seems like a problem, I'll take it out again.

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I took all things that seemed like a nest to me out of my lovebird's cage, and then she made a nest under a food dish. So I changed those out and she made a nest in a corner if they're determined to lay it seems like anything can be a nest. She only lays about 2x a year though, so it's no big deal for us. This time I knew eggs were imminent so I just gave her a box. Sometimes it feels like we're always trying to stay one step ahead of them!

The_Mayor

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
I took all things that seemed like a nest to me out of my lovebird's cage, and then she made a nest under a food dish. So I changed those out and she made a nest in a corner if they're determined to lay it seems like anything can be a nest. She only lays about 2x a year though, so it's no big deal for us. This time I knew eggs were imminent so I just gave her a box. Sometimes it feels like we're always trying to stay one step ahead of them!
Yes, well that's the other thing - when it's pon farr, it's pon farr. And all we can do is be supportive, and have a supply of dummy eggs. :cool: