• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What chemicals are safe to use around birds?

Riollkou

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elise
Hi! Created an account just to ask this question lol

I have a 4yo cockatiel that I've had for three years now, I love her to bits and always want to ensure her safety. I've tried to read up on this topic as much as I could but never really got clear enough answers to satisfy my worries so I thought I should just ask myself.
I like to work on small craft projects in my free time and would like to know what type of stuff is safe to use around my bird. Most importantly, acrylic paints and glues. My craft projects are never bird-related so I'm not worried in terms of what would be bird-safe for toys, I'm more concerned about the chemical fumes they give off. I have used a very tiny amount of acrylic paint around her some months ago (with my window wide open) and she was completely fine but I haven't wanted to risk anything more. I also use hot glue around her frequently, as I fully confirmed it was non-toxic. I have some glue that is advertised as solvent-free (which I know is toxic) so would that be ok to use? So, what should I do? I would like to continue to work in my room but also would like to keep her as safe as possible. She also lives in a large cage which isn't very easy to move. I know she wouldn't be happy about this as she is very clingy but, should I purchase a smaller cage to take her into another room while I work? or is acrylic paint and glue safe to use if I keep the room well-circulated? and if not are there types of paints/glues or alternatives that are non-toxic?

I would be very grateful if anyone could help me, thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
I would get a smaller cage for her to spend time in a different room when you are working on projects! You will want to make sure you air out the room well also prior to bringing her back in the room.

Trogdora

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jen G.
PLEASE don't use hot glue around your bird! The glue sticks themselves might not be toxic, but any time you're dealing with metal parts that get very very hot there's an excellent chance non-stick coatings are used, and in hot glue guns the tube that the melted glue is extruded from is coated in PTFE or a similar substance.

I use hot glue guns, oil paints, all that artsy stuff out in my garage where I can put the door up and air it out. Inside I'll only use Elmer's glue and watercolors, the sort of stuff you'd trust a preschooler with.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I am going to tag @JLcribber

Personally? People do NOT use chemicals in my house. Do you remember when people took canaries into coal mines with them? You won't know and they will just die.

I bought a new kitchen stove that doesn't have the "normal" self clean function to avoid anyone in my family doing that by mistake. I know that self cleaning ovens have killed birds (friends worked for my avian vet).

I have to admit that I think I am more sensitive to smells myself.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Those paints and glues are non toxic "after they are dry and cure". It is not safe to "use" any kind of glues/paints in the presence of your birds. If you use these things in the same place all the time there is going to be residual smells/byproducts in the air even with ventilation.

Riollkou

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Elise
Thanks for all the replies. I apologise for my ignorance and will move all my craft stuff to another room.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I apologise for my ignorance and will move all my craft stuff to another room.
There is no reason to apologise. Thank you for asking the question and reading the advice. We are all here to make things safe for companion birds. :bliss:

there is a good chance that someone else has your same question, and you likely helped them too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Can you build yourself a workshop?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thanks for all the replies. I apologise for my ignorance and will move all my craft stuff to another room.
We all have to learn.

Even those who don't ask the question but lurk over here to read.

I'm actually grateful to you because you asked that question.

I had no earthly idea about birds when I rescued the amazons. It was by the grace of God that I found bird owning friends and Avian Avenue and started learning before I could hurt them.