• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I use instead of wood shavings

Rio&Friend

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Kevina A/P Manimaran
Hi everyone,
Can anyone suggest me what can I use instead of wood shavings. And can millets good for the breeding boxes floor. 1637579747742114130991382085252.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Millet is a very bad choice. The floor of a nest box will natural have stool on it. If you have a food source on the ground, you are basically having your birds eat bits of stool. Also, it will not provide the support that a developing chick needs under their feet/legs. Is there a reason that you do not want to use wood shavings?

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
WalMart sells paper type shavings by the bag in various colors.

Rio&Friend

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle Kevina A/P Manimaran
Millet is a very bad choice. The floor of a nest box will natural have stool on it. If you have a food source on the ground, you are basically having your birds eat bits of stool. Also, it will not provide the support that a developing chick needs under their feet/legs. Is there a reason that you do not want to use wood shavings?
Yes, because I feel that wood shavings can cost a lot

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I agree with Christine.

Breeding birds costs a lot more than a bag of wood shavings. If you do not have the finances, then please do not breed.

Remove the nest box and remove any eggs laid.

You can always re-evaluate a few years down the line when you have the money and time to dedicate - this will also give you time to research breeding birds so you can learn basics such as hygiene 101, signs to look out for, be taught how to hand feed by a professional, and more.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, because I feel that wood shavings can cost a lot
Wood shavings are actually going to be one of the most economical choices actually. Even if you’re in a country that doesn’t traditionally have many of the pocket pets the bedding is marketed towards.

Sterilized commercially available bedding that’s primarily made of cellulose is available and utilized by many zoos and breeders who propagate the highly sensitive and ecologically critical species- but that’s 200x the cost of a bag of aspen shavings. Still has to be changed every day.

I suppose one could attempt to utilize dry straw or dried grass hay for a budgie box.
However, the risk for unwanted organisms proliferating (natural fungus, molds, very tiny mites, etc) on that bedding is great- especially in a warm moist environment that a nest box is.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can get lab grade aspen very cheap. It’s in stock where I am at Ren’s Pets (smaller, animal-less big box store) & the local feed store. They supply the university lab. NEPCO, 8 cubic feet, made in the USA. Find out who supplies the universities where you are.

Coop

Meeting neighbors
Wood shavings are actually going to be one of the most economical choices actually. Even if you’re in a country that doesn’t traditionally have many of the pocket pets the bedding is marketed towards.

Sterilized commercially available bedding that’s primarily made of cellulose is available and utilized by many zoos and breeders who propagate the highly sensitive and ecologically critical species- but that’s 200x the cost of a bag of aspen shavings. Still has to be changed every day.

I suppose one could attempt to utilize dry straw or dried grass hay for a budgie box.
However, the risk for unwanted organisms proliferating (natural fungus, molds, very tiny mites, etc) on that bedding is great- especially in a warm moist environment that a nest box is.
Not breeding hookbills, it was interesting to learn they would nest on shavings. In breeding finches of several varieties, canaries, and Brazilian cardinals, I do use dried grasses for their nesting material. But as you said, it has to be very, very thoroughly dried as any remaining moisture will allow mold growth and a very unhealthy condition for both parents and chicks. I've not had any trouble with pests in my home dried grass so far, knock on wood. The grass may be "free" since I have a few acres here, but the actual cost in my time and labor is a lot more than the price of a bale of pine shavings, which in my area is about $5 for decent stuff, and some really soft really big bales can be had for $8. A bale of shavings fills a LOT of nest boxes; if I was putting it in my finch nests I think it would take me a couple of years to use up an entire bale.