• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What can I do about this?

angelbabe

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Firstly it is winter here in New Zealand.
I have 4 cockatiels, an older pair and a younger pair. My older birds are mated and bonded, ie preening each other, etc.
My younger 2 are not yet sexually active. However, my older male wants to have his cake and eat it too, as he is obviously
not content to have a wife only, he wants a mistress too. So, although he is mated to my older girl, and they've had 2 unsuccessful clutches, due to inexperience, he is also now wanting to mate the younger girl. They are currently separated, boys in one cage, girls in the other, to try and calm down his raging hormones, as well as getting 14 hours a night, where they are covered, to sleep. The only time all 4 are together is playtime, during the day.
What else can I do? Is it ok to physically stop him, when I hear her cooing, when he has mounted her to mate? Or is it fair to keep her in, when the others are out to play?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
What else can I do?
What is your aim? To have two pairs? or to breed?

If you just want two pairs, then pair up the two that get on the best with each other.

To breed, your younger birds may be too young, so house the older pair together, separate from the younger two.

As for the unsuccessful clutches, check perches and cage setup. Be sure they are able to mate well is a good first step. Check they are of good breeding age.