• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What breed is my lorikeet??

sezza4ever

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Samie
Hi woundering if anyone may help me. I am very confussed about my girl. The breeder told me that she was a Lutino lorikeet. But after taking her home we noticed that she looks more green than all yellow. We contacted the breeder to ask if this was a Lutino or not he told us that the colors will change to a yellow as she grows. But now at 8 months she is nowhere near all yellow she has a pink/blue head and a green/yellow body. We are pretty disappointed as we had to pay $950 for her as he said a Lutino is a rare bird but now I don't even think she is a Lutino. Would anyone please be able to help me and my little girl. Thankyou so much.

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels

JAM

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes I concur that is a dilute rainbow lorikeet. :)

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's not a true red collar it's front is the same as a green nape so I would place my bets on it being a hybrid of a red collar and green nape.

Very pretty birdy. :)

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I was wondering if he was an Olive Rainbow, like my Butc, but the front is not right - so Jam is likely right.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
Hybrid would be fun I have 2 species to search for! Red and Green Bingo!

Thanks for all your replies and Sweetie sent you all a wolf whistle :)

Everything is going ok so far and we are settled my only concern is about her water intake she has a varied diet but is mad about bananas should I be worried about her not drinking much water? Her poops are runny, runny enough to go through my computer keyboard and break it for the day anyway ;S

How do your guys take water?

Thanks again for all the help
Andrea

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Lorikeets have runny poop it's normal. However colour changes, odour, looking too water (can't see much faeces or urates in them) or thick and sticky are signs you want to look out for. An odd one every now and then isn't too much to worry about but a consistent change requires investigation.

As for not drinking much, what do you feed her? Dry or wet mix?

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
wet, perhaps she drinks after she goes to bed and I just don't see :) The wet mix she will shun for dragon fruit and banana too

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ours have a mix of wet and dry I don't really see them drinking much except when they're mixing their own dry nectar.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
oh god, i thought she was dead in the first picture and got scared D: shes super super pretty.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
First pic is typical lorikeet pose. On their back, feet up. :D

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
I'm used to it now but when she first started doing it i kept having to make sure she was still breathing, even now i sometimes say something just to make sure lol, she will do that all over the house at anytime of day, plays so hard just passes out, wakes up, eats and starts all over again :) sorry to scare you too!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I think i would feel my heart pump out of my chest, normal pose or not :D

But damn what a pretty bird! They may not be what you thought, or paid for, but the look verry handsome none the less!

I surely hope you have just as much fun with this bird!