• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird should I get?

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
My cockatiel seems lonely and I want to get him a friend, but I’m not sure which one to get, I am in love with yellow Indian ring necks and really want one! They are so cute and their personality is so cute! But I feel like they would bond more if they were both cockatiels the Indian ring neck would of course live in another cage! Also how big are Indian ring necks compared to a cockatiel?

Reactions: Ali

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
I would say get a double flight cage (similar to this Elegance Double Metal Large Flight Cage ), take out the divider to use as one, and get another tiel
If I were to get another teil they would have to be in the same cage :( I don’t have room for such a big cage, hes already taking up most of my room lol. I am also on a tight budget, :( so I wouldn’t be able to buy a giant cage, I use gumtree (Australian buy and sell) to find cheap big cages so I will have a look on there though! Thanks for the advice!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
If I were to get another teil they would have to be in the same cage :( I don’t have room for such a big cage, hes already taking up most of my room lol. I am also on a tight budget, :( so I wouldn’t be able to buy a giant cage, I use gumtree (Australian buy and sell) to find cheap big cages so I will have a look on there though! Thanks for the advice!
How big is your current cage? You may be able to keep them in the same one, but they would need to be monitored at first (after being quarantined) to see if they get along

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
How big is your current cage? You may be able to keep them in the same one, but they would need to be monitored at first (after being quarantined) to see if they get along
My bird cage is a corner cage, I have posted it on a separate thread and people have said it’s a mansion for him lol, I do go to school for most of the day :( so I wouldn’t be able to monitor all the time, would getting an Indian ring neck and putting it in a seperate cage work better? :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A cocktail is around 90g and an Indian Ringc
Neck is around 125.

Here is a pic I just grabbed off Google.
original.jpg

That is a bit of a size difference but not impossible in common play areas. However you really shouldn't keep dust producing birds with non dusty. Cockatiel dust could be dangerous to an IRN with long term exposure. You will at least need to consider air filtration and a routine that helps.

The best friend for a bird will always be the same species.

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
My bird cage is a corner cage, I have posted it on a separate thread and people have said it’s a mansion for him lol, I do go to school for most of the day :( so I wouldn’t be able to monitor all the time, would getting an Indian ring neck and putting it in a seperate cage work better? :)
That depends.

How much time will they get out, and if they didn't get along, would you be able to offer separate out of the cage time

How much are you able to spend on a cage, and how big an area do you have for the second cage. Two cages would probably take up more room than a double.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I can't say I agree getting an IRN would be easier. It may end up much more complicated.

If you would get a second cage for an IRN why not just get a single larger cage?

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
I can't say I agree getting an IRN would be easier. It may end up much more complicated.

If you would get a second cage for an IRN why not just get a single larger cage?
I have a giant cage which would definitely have no problem homing them both, but I’ve heard you shouldn’t home two different species together, I have really wanted to get an Indian ring neck so I don’t know what to do, also what’s an air filtration routine like?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have a giant cage which would definitely have no problem homing them both, but I’ve heard you shouldn’t home two different species together, I have really wanted to get an Indian ring neck so I don’t know what to do, also what’s an air filtration routine like?
Oh I meant for two cockatiels, sorry for the confusion :geek:

Never house an IRN with another bird in a cage.

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
That depends.

How much time will they get out, and if they didn't get along, would you be able to offer separate out of the cage time

How much are you able to spend on a cage, and how big an area do you have for the second cage. Two cages would probably take up more room than a double.
They would get all the time I’m home out of the cage (all the time I’m not at school so it’s quite a lot of time) I am willing to spend $100 on a cage, I would use gumtree to find a nice cage though, my friend has one of the single flight cages and it’s huge, my room is oddly shaped and really small, I can’t keep it in a different room because of my dog, so I’m not sure what I’m going to do, he has been so lonely but I have to wait till the end of the year to get him a friend, because I don’t have enough money right now.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is most well understood with Macaws. However this is in part, in my opinion, because macaws are expensive and more likely to get medical care. Obviously I agree that all birds deserve medical care, but I think traditionally more macaws received it.

This doesn't mean other species are immune if it can happen to Macaws then we should consider it as a point of informing how to handle other species.

IRN do produce some dust but are not dusty to the degree of cockatiels.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Given your situation, maybe a ´Tiel for a second bird would be the way to go?
It is good that you are waiting ´til you have the funds before bringing a second bird home :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can NOT just house two birds together no matter the species no more than you letting a complete stranger move into your house and having access to "everything" you own. These things must evolve and sometimes they still don't work out. So if you're going to get another bird you need to have the space and another cage to do it properly and safely.

In your original post you said your cockatiel is lonely but all I read was "I" want an indian ringneck. If you want the best chance at a successful meeting and friendship you'd get another cockatiel.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan, our IRN, shared the rooms of the house with many tiels for many years. He showed really no interest in them. The two species are really quite different in temperaments...tiels are the supremely laid-back of species...IRNs, although very independent, tend also to be more high strung. I believe caution should be used when the two species "mix"...

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I suggest thinking about other additional costs before you get a second bird. You will need a second cage regardless of species; you can't just put a second bird in your existing bird's cage (although a pair of tiels may decide that they do want to share eventually - it has to be their decision though). You will also have more costs in terms of food, toys and, most importantly, vet fees.

You will also need to quarantine the new bird in a separate air space for between 4-6 weeks to make sure that they aren't sick and don't have any diseases which they could pass on to your existing bird.

Last edited:

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
You can NOT just house two birds together no matter the species no more than you letting a complete stranger move into your house and having access to "everything" you own. These things must evolve and sometimes they still don't work out. So if you're going to get another bird you need to have the space and another cage to do it properly and safely.

In your original post you said your cockatiel is lonely but all I read was "I" want an indian ringneck. If you want the best chance at a successful meeting and friendship you'd get another cockatiel.
Yes he is lonely, the cockatiel and my cockatiel would have to have a separate cage anyways, I have been thinking about getting an Indian ring neck for a while now, and they could be friends with time

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
They are very different birds in regards to behavior and I do not believe they very often give each other the type friendship that would remove the loneliness factor for your cockatiel...... the most logical option would be another cockatiel but you still need two cages which from what I read you do not have the room for.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
i think you are getting an IRN for yourself. If you want a buddy for your cockatiel get another cockatiel. This is the better mix.