• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What bird should I get?

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
They are very different birds in regards to behavior and I do not believe they very often give each other the type friendship that would remove the loneliness factor for your cockatiel...... the most logical option would be another cockatiel but you still need two cages which from what I read you do not have the room for.
How would I help him to not be lonely while I wait to get another cockatiel? He was tame for a little bit, now he dosent want to come out of his cage, and he has started singing more, I’m really worried for him. As I said in another thread he only eats and sleeps, now he has started the singing

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How would I help him to not be lonely while I wait to get another cockatiel? He was tame for a little bit, now he dosent want to come out of his cage, and he has started singing more, I’m really worried for him. As I said in another thread he only eats and sleeps, now he has started the singing
What makes you say he is lonely?
Why do you think he was tame for a bit and now he doesn't want to come out of the cage?
What exactly is it that you are worried about?
Do you offer him fresh natural perches with bark on them and other things like shredding toys etc? What toys do you have for him?
It is good to hear he is singing as I do not believe depressed or stressed birds sing.

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
What makes you say he is lonely?
Why do you think he was tame for a bit and now he doesn't want to come out of the cage?
What exactly is it that you are worried about?
Do you offer him fresh natural perches with bark on them and other things like shredding toys etc? What toys do you have for him?
It is good to hear he is singing as I do not believe depressed or stressed birds sing.
I think he is lonely because he went from an avairy with lots of friends to having none. Like he would sit on my shoulder,finger,head and now he dosent want to, I am worried because he is not playing with his toys anymore, or chirping as much, I have a lot of nantirai branches in his cage, I haven’t added any more toys as they are sooooo expensive were I live, I can’t afford to pay $42 for a wooden toy, I have tried to find things on line that are cheap and don’t cost a fortune to ship, anything that is cheap isn’t good quality I am working on it though! I always have the cage open for him to come out, he just dosent. I don’t have any shredding toys

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
For toys, you can try making your own! You can get various items to craft your own toy. Some of the members gave me great ideas here

I'd suggest making a foraging plate/tray for him first, so at least he gets some sort of stimulation. You can put a piece of paper in his food bowl so he has to move around it to get his food.

I do something like this for Preeno:
1593938243611.png

mak

now he dosent want to come out of his cage, and he has started singing more,
Is he singing or shrieking? If he's singing (or whistling) it is definitely not a sign of loneliness rather contentment.
I haven’t added any more toys as they are sooooo expensive were I live, I can’t afford to pay $42 for a wooden toy, I have tried to find things on line that are cheap and don’t cost a fortune to ship, anything that is cheap isn’t good quality I am working on it though! I always have the cage open for him to come out, he just dosent. I don’t have any shredding toys
You don't need to buy toys! Egg carton, paper, cardboard can all be very good "toys" for your tiel to rip and shred.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I haven’t added any more toys as they are sooooo expensive were I live, I can’t afford to pay $42 for a wooden toy,
Buy not offering toys, he will eventually stop playing.
42 dollars sounds steep, which dollars are they? Even Canadian and Australian dollars, that would be an extremely expensive toy.
What country are you in? maybe we can help with some links to good stores?
However, like the others have said, you can DIY toys for next to nothing, just be sure to source safe items (food packaging is almost always safe)

ellbell

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ella
Buy not offering toys, he will eventually stop playing.
42 dollars sounds steep, which dollars are they? Even Canadian and Australian dollars, that would be an extremely expensive toy.
What country are you in? maybe we can help with some links to good stores?
However, like the others have said, you can DIY toys for next to nothing, just be sure to source safe items (food packaging is almost always safe)

It’s in Australian dollars, I just can’t believe the prices here! I’m going to try making some toys!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It’s in Australian dollars,
Have you seen this thread;
Maybe there are some better priced items on these websites.

@Yoshi&Raphi @Shezbug @LunaLovebird @fashionfobie may know where to source some materials for DIY toys at good prices :)

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Bunnings for balsa or you can buy a box of scrap balsa from My Parrot Store. Chipper parrots is a great source for bits to make your own toys as well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There are a few online stores listed in the link that @Zara posted where you will be able to get a decent amount of toys or supplies for a smaller bird with $45, I would say enough for a few months. I have also used Bunnings for some stuff like sea grass rope and balsa and the local newsagent for corrugated cardboard and coloured paper.