• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What are your conures favourite treats??

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone!! I'm new here, thanks to everyone who said hello i feel very welcome here:)

Ive been having a tough time finding a treat/training food my GCC is interested in. I've tried giving him different kinds of nuts(almonds, cashews, walnuts, pine nuts), seeds(sunflower seeds, safflower, sesame, chia, pumpkin seeds, millet, grass seeds) and fruit(grapes, apple, orange, pomegranate, passionfruit, banana). He isn't interested enough to train for any of them!! The only thing he loves is a sip of a juice box, it's the only way I can get him back in his cage otherwise he attacks me:(

If anyone has any training treat ideas please let me know!!!

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
My two conures love millet spray, almonds, pumpkin seeds and lafebers nutriberries as treats/rewards. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head for you to try, you've already tried a lot of different rewards, he must be a picky little bird! I'm sure some of the other members will be along soon to give more suggestions on what to do!

Aves

Rollerblading along the road
You could see if he likes pasta or whole wheat bread.

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
My two conures love millet spray, almonds, pumpkin seeds and lafebers nutriberries as treats/rewards. I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head for you to try, you've already tried a lot of different rewards, he must be a picky little bird! I'm sure some of the other members will be along soon to give more suggestions on what to do!
Thanks for your reply!! He is a fussy little guy for sure haha. I'll have to order some nutriberries to try, I've heard lots of birds love these!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek was very much not food motivated. She much preferred toys. So she got foot toys as a "treat" which worked out well for us!

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek was very much not food motivated. She much preferred toys. So she got foot toys as a "treat" which worked out well for us!
I'll give that a try!! I never thought it might be he's not food motivated, thanks for replying!

elitys

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Elise
I know you've tried grapes, but my bird loves frozen fruit. She loves frozen green grapes, mango, and pineapple best. Her favorite seeds are these little black triangular squash seeds from the Zupreem Sensible Seed for medium birds.

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
Frozen Peas are like a popsicle.
'They' say to try same food but cut in a different shape-- since birds are so visual, maybe they won't accept something they like, if it looks different.
I split a small plain Animal Cracker into 2 to 4x pieces for a treat. [Each birdie gets only 1x piece].

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
I know you've tried grapes, but my bird loves frozen fruit. She loves frozen green grapes, mango, and pineapple best. Her favorite seeds are these little black triangular squash seeds from the Zupreem Sensible Seed for medium birds.
That's a great idea to freeze things! I'll have to pop some different fruits in the freezer for him to try :)

Grigals

Meeting neighbors
Frozen Peas are like a popsicle.
'They' say to try same food but cut in a different shape-- since birds are so visual, maybe they won't accept something they like, if it looks different.
I split a small plain Animal Cracker into 2 to 4x pieces for a treat. [Each birdie gets only 1x piece].
I've heard before to try cutting food into different shapes and sizes and I do this!! Kirby likes most things to be grated, although he likes some foods differently for example he likes carrot sticks. I'll give frozen peas and animal crackers a go if I can find any, Australian here :laughing2:

Seulregi

Meeting neighbors
I never thought of mealworms!! The live ones or the ones they sell as chicken treats??
the ones they sell as chicken treats, I get the freeze dried ones. My male conure goes NUTS for them, didn’t like them at first but now they seem to be his favourite food ever

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Jade would slaughter a man for a cashew. When cashews aren't available, she also enjoys almonds, safflower seeds, sunflower seeds and nutriberries.