• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What are your birds eating today?

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
View attachment 428274
They enjoyed the corn (rarely offered) and the blackberries. The radish, sugar peas, broccoli (usually a favorite) and blueberries have been ignored for now.:shrug:
Open up the pea pods. That makes them much more interesting.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Open up the pea pods. That makes them much more interesting.
Offering them whole was an experiment to see if my birds were curious enough to actually open them themselves. I've been trying to transition them from pureed chop to chunky veggie pieces (with limited success so far). I ended up cutting them into bite-sized pieces last night. Most of it was kicked off the plate so they could reach the corn. :laugh:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I find that with some bird’s presentation is important. Little birds like gcc and Quakers like cherry tomatoes halved, bean and pea pods split, so you can see the seeds. Their beaks are quite capable of handling the whole vegetable but at least at first showing the seeds makes it way more interesting.

(for small raptors, if you feed a mouse, you may present the mouse belly up with belly open, or some organs out to tempt the bird.
It’s the same thing.)

Winn

Jogging around the block
I find that with some bird’s presentation is important. Little birds like gcc and Quakers like cherry tomatoes halved, bean and pea pods split, so you can see the seeds. Their beaks are quite capable of handling the whole vegetable but at least at first showing the seeds makes it way more interesting.

(for small raptors, if you feed a mouse, you may present the mouse belly up with belly open, or some organs out to tempt the bird.
It’s the same thing.)
Presentation plays a huge roll (even with human food). My birds readily eat minced, mixed veggies. The chunkier stuff is hit or miss, depending on their mood on any given day. I offer veg 3 times a day and in mixed form (finely minced & blended, bite size, or bigger separate pieces). I'm keeping notes on what works for them and what doesn't.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Today’s chop is kale, parsley, carrots, green beans, and yellow bell pepper. Sometimes I have trouble remembering which veggies in the fridge are for things I plans to cook for us and what I bought for the birds.

still experimenting with what size chunks everyone prefers. Thankfully the three baby cockatiels are adventurous eaters and will munch on anything I put in their bowls. They especially love sprouts.

IMG_4020.jpeg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
On offer today: green beans, cauliflower, black barley, bell pepper, chickpeas, butternut squash, corn, sprouts, bird bread, and a blueberry. Trying smaller portions :lol:

PXL_20230501_133227788.jpg

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
I got my Christine's chop shop order on Saturday so I'll be making one of her bird breads this week! She's just a few miles from me, so stuff gets here quick.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I made up some chop and cooked grains for the week (and some of the chop will go in the freezer). Plan to add favorites to these daily like corn for Bosco and larger chunks for Ripley, plus sprouts as they both have been eating those. Bird bread is still being ignored :lol:

Chop includes: sugar snap peas, broccoli, sweet potato, radish, strawberry tops, brussel sprouts, and jalapeno.

Grains include: tricolor quinoa, wheat berries, oats, and some Volkman Featherglow Soak and Serve

PXL_20230502_154402812.jpg PXL_20230502_122713708.jpg

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I just ordered dehydrated veggies for when I need a quicker bird dinner alternative. I also bought dried nettle (for my hair) but there’s plenty left over to see if birds will enjoy it.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Tonight birds are having cherry tomato. Willow got a slightly smaller half with seeds showing. He attacked it right away. Jasper was on their tree. She checked out her tomato half and whipped it out onto the carpet.

anyhow it’s important for her to get some veggies so I halved the tomato again and seeds showed. I put it in her dish and she tried some seed. Last I saw she was gnawing on a quarter of a cherry tomato.

they also got Harrison’s pepper pellets but I don’t think Jasper likes them.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Breakfast was a disaster scrambled egg and chopped chilli's wasnt touched so had to go shopping. 20230507_115208.jpg
Fine beans,string beans,sweetcorn,red sweet pepper,green chilli's and fresh peas have also bought frozen herbs to give them a go.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Love it!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
This is Toki enjoying their second helping of sprouts and fresh peas today. This is the first time they've had peas and they were a huge hit. I was trying to sneak photos through the bars without distracting him from his snack.

IMG_4193.jpeg IMG_4192.jpeg

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
This is Toki enjoying their second helping of sprouts and fresh peas today. This is the first time they've had peas and they were a huge hit. I was trying to sneak photos through the bars without distracting him from his snack.

View attachment 428719 View attachment 428720
Replying to my own post because I LOL’d when I read it back. I have not assigned they/them pronouns to Toki…but he has two roommates, and the “they” was referring to all three of them. Not that I have any issue with folks using the pronouns they feel most comfortable with….but Toki has no preference.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Has been a few days since I did veggies, so trying to get myself back into it.
A quick salad of lettuce, Pak Choi, broccoli and capsicum. Plan to do a few days worth of chop later if I can.
20230508_122009.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Did a "coleslaw" mix of broccoli, carrots, red cabbage, kohlrabi, napa cabbage, brussel sprouts, and kale, topped with my chop from the other day and the "moo mix" sprouts (alfalfa and clover).

Plus a blackberry and a piece of blueberry pancake!

PXL_20230510_124006472.jpg

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Still trying to get back into veggies, gave them some yesterday and it reminded me how much Nautilus loves his veggies so that motivated me to do today. I really like this kid's plate (don't ask why I don't just put straight into their bowls, it's my weird process :rolleyes:).
20230523_094848.jpg

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
A chunk of toddler for one of them :rofl: