• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures What are your birds eating today?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Nice, you already knew about Christine's Chop Shop! I haven't tried her bread mix yet, looking forward to see it done!
Oh yes I have bought from her several times! Her and Texas Natural Freeze Dried are my main places!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Fresh out of the oven! It's a cool kit; comes with a bunch of flax and chia for you to soak for a bit so you can omit eggs, then has a separate bag for the dry mix of flours, veggies, etc, and even comes with a little packet of coconut oil to grease the pan with. You literally just add water!

PXL_20230425_234526135.jpg PXL_20230425_234531787.jpg

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Oh yes I have bought from her several times! Her and Texas Natural Freeze Dried are my main places!
Awesome! She's local to me, and one of our local exotic bird stores carries her line, that's how I found out about it. I'd never heard of Texas Natural Freeze Dried, but now it's bookmarked - thank you!!

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Fresh out of the oven! It's a cool kit; comes with a bunch of flax and chia for you to soak for a bit so you can omit eggs, then has a separate bag for the dry mix of flours, veggies, etc, and even comes with a little packet of coconut oil to grease the pan with. You literally just add water!

View attachment 428098 View attachment 428099
Looks great! is it soft and bready, or more crunchy? I made a batch of Avian Organics bird bread last weekend, and it came out like cement, I could barely cut it into cubes. I think if I do it again, I'll use a smaller pan than recommended so it's a thicker layer of batter.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks great! is it soft and bready, or more crunchy? I made a batch of Avian Organics bird bread last weekend, and it came out like cement, I could barely cut it into cubes. I think if I do it again, I'll use a smaller pan than recommended so it's a thicker layer of batter.
I've never had that problem with Avian Organics!

I haven't cut it yet. Letting it cool completely first (and working on orders!)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've never had that problem with Avian Organics!

I haven't cut it yet. Letting it cool completely first (and working on orders!)
It is not bready. It's more like a thick, dense flat bread I would say.

It kinda reminds me of baked oatmeal which makes sense!

PXL_20230426_033706496.jpg

Last edited:

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chilli's,peppers,carrots,brocolli,sweetcorn,mange tout and sweetcorn with a little bit of ginger sprinkled over the top.
20230426_091441.jpg

Winn

Jogging around the block
How do you guys get your birds to eat this I been making different chops for them and the only thing they want is eggs nothing else and I need trying different stuff all the time and different ways of making it and nothing and my girl cockatiel just laid 5 eggs and I’m wondering how she is going to feed the babies.
For my budgies I offered a small amount of finely-minced chop with their regular seed mix sprinkled in first thing in the morning when they were hungriest. I increased the chop and decreased the amount of seeds a little each day. It is trial and error to see what works for any given bird. Some members have said their birds will eat chunky veggies from a skewer but won't eat veggies from a bowl, or won't eat minced veggies at all.
As @Mizzely said, just keep offering. :)
We can't make them eat the veggies. We can only give them the option to.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The girls sprouts for breakfast for the next few mornings.
20230427_222457.jpg

They usually get some frozen chilli mixed in but tomorrow they have some lovely fresh chilli's that will be getting added.

You may have noticed the common theme in my food threads chilli's, they love them.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
The girls sprouts for breakfast for the next few mornings.
View attachment 428205

They usually get some frozen chilli mixed in but tomorrow they have some lovely fresh chilli's that will be getting added.

You may have noticed the common theme in my food threads chilli's, they love them.
I've been sprouting mine several days longer than this point until they're like little plants, but I think they also like to eat them this way, with little bitty sprouts? I'll try that with the batch I have going now.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've been sprouting mine several days longer than this point until they're like little plants, but I think they also like to eat them this way, with little bitty sprouts? I'll try that with the batch I have going now.
Have you got any pics ?

mine like them this way

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I usually sprout them to around this point before I feed them (although they continue to grow in the fridge!)

View attachment 428206

This is where my current batch is...I think I'll go one more day and see how they like them.

View attachment 428207
Your first sprouts are tremendous i wouldnt be changing anything with them my two would smash them, how long have you been sprouting them for ?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bosco ignored it, Ripley threw it on the ground.

Dog liked it :lol:
Good old Luke,when all else fails doggos will always eat what others wont,lol.

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
Your first sprouts are tremendous i wouldnt be changing anything with them my two would smash them, how long have you been sprouting them for ?
Thats after about 4-5 days I think. I use the Easy Sprout sprouter from Sprout People, and their sprouting mixes as well.

Winn

Jogging around the block
IMG_20230428_175612.jpg
They enjoyed the corn (rarely offered) and the blackberries. The radish, sugar peas, broccoli (usually a favorite) and blueberries have been ignored for now.:shrug:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have been giving the birds food but just haven't been taking photos.

Today is broccoli, riced cauliflower and sweet potato, corn, sugar snap peas, Higgins Worldly Cuisines Spice Market, "Russian Mix" sprouts, bird bread, and a sprinkle of freeze dried kale.

PXL_20230429_130309386.jpg